plotting window is never in the same place twice

MikeP

has any one ever experienced when plotting that, after selecting the plot window it tends to move its position by its self? Often from the time I select the window to the time time i hit plot, it doesn't plot the window I selected.

WTF!?:x

... when plotting that, after selecting the plot window...

Do not use plot windows. Set your template to plot by layouts. Set it and forget it. Never fool with it again.

• Thanks 1

Do not use plot windows. Set your template to plot by layouts. Set it and forget it. Never fool with it again.

yeah only problem is... I plot from model space always....

Yes! :D

has any one ever experienced when plotting that, after selecting the plot window it tends to move its position by its self? Often from the time I select the window to the time time i hit plot, it doesn't plot the window I selected.

Is your object snap on when you are picking the window points?

What about if you save a page setup, does the saved page setup get altered?

• Like 1

Yes! :D

Is your object snap on when you are picking the window points?

What about if you save a page setup, does the saved page setup get altered?

no I can tell for 1000% that it has nothing to do with anything im doing wrong. Its a glitch. Im am almost certain. no snaps are messing me up.

I will print a window. then do a few commands, then want to print the same window again and now it shifted to some random spot.

no I can tell for 1000% that it has nothing to do with anything im doing wrong. Its a glitch. Im am almost certain. no snaps are messing me up.

I will print a window. then do a few commands, then want to print the same window again and now it shifted to some random spot.

OK, but what about the second question?

If you save a page setup, and then the "window moves", is the page setup still shown as current or not. And if the latter, if you restore the saved page setup, does the window go back to the right place?

Have you clicked on "apply to layout" before you print?

After defining the window you need to click this to allow Autocad to remember.

untitled.JPG

It does work when I click apply to layout, but ive never had to do that before. It wold always remember the last position

Glad to see that worked.

If you import your title block, you then have to re-scale it to a size to suit the drawing.

If you goto your plot settings and change the window select to extents. that way it prints everything within the titleblock. (as long as you dont have stuff floating outside it.)

Thats the way I have mine set up.

I dont use paperspace either.

It does work when I click apply to layout...

So I'm guessing that you don't use or have any named page setups. Page setup information (window location, page size, etc.) is stored on a per-layout basis in the drawing. If you are not saving it, then you can't expect it to be there when you go back.

• Like 1

• 13 years later...

I AM SEEING A SIMILAR PROBLEM WHEN TRYING TO PUBLISH A MULTISHEET DRAWING TO A PDF FORMAT. THE ONLY THING I FOUND TO WORK WAS SETTING THE DRAWING LIMITS FIRST, THEN GOING INTO PAGE SETUP FOR EACH PAGE AND MODIFYING IT. CHANGE THE LAYOUT FROM EXTENTS TO LIMITS. NOT SURE IF THIS MESSES UP THE SCALE OF THE DRAWING OR NOT. WHAT CONCERNS ME IS WHY WHEN PICKING FIT TO PAGE THEN DESELECTING IT, WHY WOULD THE PLOT WINDOW CHANGE? SOMETHING THAT USED TO BE NO PROBLEM IN PREVIOUS VERSIONS NOW IS A BIG HEADACHE.

3 things

you can import a page setup from another dwg or pick an existing page setup to use in current layout,

if you google there is lisp out there to set every layout page setupto be the same I think it was by PBe at forums/autodesk,

lastly make sure all your title blocks are same size and at 0,0.

Just a comment gave up on publish use a lisp to plot layouts, works 100% every time and scale is at true scale.

Just another have you tried using plot window and center.

We Plot & Publish to a handful of different plot sizes and plotting devices as well as PDF.

When importing layouts with title blocks for a drawing we bring in the page setups for both hard copy and PDF as well.

All plot to layout so every drawing using either plot or publish outputs exactly correct every time.

Once you have a sound plan for all your plotting and publishing you shouldn't ever have to worry about it again.