Multi building models with different levels

Siberian

I'm on a project involving four buildings all connected by a parking garage. The buildings all have different levels, and I'm wondering how to best deal with that. I would prefer to have all buildings in one model, even though I know most people advice against it. This is because the architect has already started out in this manner, and the project leader has made out like he wants the other participants to follow suit.

• I could give all the buildings their own levels with names that relate to the building. It works, but creates lots of levels that will need to be filtered out in other views.
  • The architect has all the buildings in one model, and so seems to have solved it for himself somehow. However, when I open his model, it only has a single set of levels that fit one of the buildings.

Any ideas on the best approach here?