On-Page / Off-Page References

Lucas11

Background:

I have a dwg with multiple sheets (each layout tab is another sheet). In in a wiring diagram, some wires go off page, and so I have to show the page number the wire is jumping to. Let's say I have a Rectangle A and a Rectangle B and a wire (line) that I want to show is connecting the two rectangles. However, Rectangle A is on sheet 1 (Layout tab 1) and Rectangle B is on sheet 2 (Layout tab 2). And so I would draw a line from Rectangle 1 but then at the end of the line, I put the sheet number (layout tab number) that Rectangle B is located on. I would do the same for Rectangle B and at the end of its line show the sheet number (layout tab number) that Rectangle A is located on.

Problem:

I would like to move Rectangle B to another sheet, say sheet 3 (Layout tab 3), and the reference to Rectangle B that's on sheet 1 would automatically update from sheet 2 to sheet 3, or whatever sheet number I move Rectangle B to. Is it possible to have the sheet number reference automatically update to the sheet number where the referenced Rectangle is located?

EXAMPLE.dwg

Edited by Lucas11
Attaching dwg

Just a comment I have looked at this a few times thinking about how to do. In a grid style of sheets can have up to 4 sheets touching. One possible way is using fields that you would get a A B C etc from a sheet and put that into the description of connection. So would have "A" Rather than "Sheet 1". So manually can be done. Or have "A" on a non plot layer.

Try this a very simple make a field from one text and put answer in another.

; make a field from one text and put answer in another.
; By Alan H Oct 2024

(defun c:wow ( / obj1 obj2 str txt)
(setq obj1 (vlax-ename->vla-object (car (entsel "\nPick source text "))))
(setq obj2 (vlax-ename->vla-object (car (entsel "\nPick destination text "))))
(setq id (vlax-invoke-method (vla-get-Utility  (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object))) 'GetObjectIdString obj1 :vlax-false))
(setq str (strcat "%<\\AcObjProp Object(%<\\_ObjId " id ">%).TextString>%"))
(vlax-put obj2 'textstring str)
(princ)
)

If you use sheet sets, you can assign a sheet number (or a custom property) to a field. Whenever the sheet number changes, all the fields that reference it will change as well. Will that do what you want? Or are sheet sets not an option?