Reading External DWG File using AutoCAD .net api

Hari kowshik

Reading the blocks from External files using AutoCAD .NET API with c# I can read the block References using  ReadDwgFile() but I am not getting the properties of the block if it is a dynamic block I am not getting the value of Visibility property instead I am getting the default value. can anyone help me with this issue?

I've barley started with C# and AutoCAD, so I am probably off target, but dealing with Dynamic Blocks in VLISP is totally different than getting regular (nondynamic) block properties.

AFAIK it is the same with C#,  VBA, .NET, etc.

You'll need to reference something like GetDynamicBlockVisibility If my previous research wasn't faulty.

If you have a look at Lee-mac.com, dynamic block lisp, yes it is lisp but he has posted numerous functions to do with dynamic blocks may give you some clues and how to write an equivalent C# version. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I have a dynamic block with 5 visibilities. I have placed each instance of the dynamic block with different Visibility so I have 5 blocks in a dwg file but when I try to read this external dwg file using the ReadDwgFile() method I am getting the Anonyms blocks for the remaining 4 instances other than the default Visibility block, how to get the original block name while reading from the External dwg file. Still, when I am reading through the Active document I can read the original block names of 5 instances, can anyone help me with this?

here is the code that I am using to load the blocks from the external dwg file to the current database 

private static void LoadBlocksFromExternalFile(Database currentDb, string filePath, Editor ed)

{

try

{

using (Database externalDb = new Database(false, true))

{

externalDb.ReadDwgFile(filePath, FileShare.Read, true, "");

ObjectIdCollection blockIds = new ObjectIdCollection();

using (Transaction tr = externalDb.TransactionManager.StartTransaction())

{

BlockTable externalBt = (BlockTable)tr.GetObject(externalDb.BlockTableId, OpenMode.ForRead);

foreach (ObjectId btrId in externalBt)

{

BlockTableRecord btr = (BlockTableRecord)tr.GetObject(btrId, OpenMode.ForRead);

if (!btr.IsLayout)

{

string blockName;

// Check if the block is anonymous

if (btr.IsAnonymous)

{

blockName = btr.Name; // Use the anonymous name directly

ed.WriteMessage($"\nAnonymous Block \"{blockName}\" loaded from file.");

}

else

{

// Create a temporary BlockReference to get the block name

BlockReference tempBlockRef = new BlockReference(Point3d.Origin, btrId);

blockName = tempBlockRef.IsDynamicBlock ?

((BlockTableRecord)tempBlockRef.DynamicBlockTableRecord.GetObject(OpenMode.ForRead)).Name :

btr.Name;

if (tempBlockRef.IsDynamicBlock)

{

ed.WriteMessage($"\nBlock \"{blockName}\" is a dynamic block.");

}

ed.WriteMessage($"\nBlock \"{blockName}\" loaded from file.");

}

blockIds.Add(btrId);

}

}

tr.Commit();

}

if (blockIds.Count > 0)

{

IdMapping mapping = new IdMapping();

currentDb.WblockCloneObjects(blockIds, currentDb.BlockTableId, mapping, DuplicateRecordCloning.Replace, false);

}

}

}

catch (System.Exception ex)

{

Application.ShowAlertDialog($"Error loading blocks from file: {ex.Message}");

}

}

Edited by SLW210
Added Code Tags!!

Please use Code Tags. (the <> in the editor toolbar)

I merged your threads, please keep related topics in 1 thread.

Was trying to use VLISP for this, but I also looking into VBA and C#.

You may need to go to a more C# specialized forum, though any .NET should be similar enough.

Did you even bother looking at the links I posted? Giles is still around on Autodesk Forum and maybe other sites AFAIK.

Really just starting with C# and AutoCAD, but from what I have researched you need something along these lines, more of a guideline than working code.

using Autodesk.AutoCAD.ApplicationServices;
using Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices;
using Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime;
using Autodesk.AutoCAD.Geometry;

public class BlockVisibilityStates
{
    [CommandMethod("ReadVisibilityStates")]
    public void ReadVisibilityStates()
    {
        Document doc = Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument;
        Database db = doc.Database;

// Start a transaction
        using (Transaction tr = db.TransactionManager.StartTransaction())
        {
            // Open the BlockTable for read
            BlockTable blkTbl = (BlockTable)tr.GetObject(db.BlockTableId, OpenMode.ForRead);

// Iterate through each block in the BlockTable
            foreach (ObjectId blkId in blkTbl)
            {
                BlockTableRecord blkRec = (BlockTableRecord)tr.GetObject(blkId, OpenMode.ForRead);

// Check if it's a dynamic block
                if (blkRec.IsDynamicBlock)
                {
                    // Iterate through the block references
                    foreach (ObjectId objId in blkRec)
                    {
                        if (objId.ObjectClass.Name == "AcDbBlockReference")
                        {
                            BlockReference blkRef = (BlockReference)tr.GetObject(objId, OpenMode.ForRead);

// Get the dynamic block reference property collection
                            DynamicBlockReferencePropertyCollection propCollection = blkRef.DynamicBlockReferencePropertyCollection;

foreach (DynamicBlockReferenceProperty prop in propCollection)
                            {
                                if (prop.PropertyName == "Visibility")
                                {
                                    // Read the visibility state
                                    var visibilityState = prop.Value.ToString();
                                    doc.Editor.WriteMessage($"Block: {blkRec.Name}, Visibility State: {visibilityState}\n");
                                }
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
            }

// Commit the transaction
            tr.Commit();
        }
    }
}

Untested