Help Needed: How to Create a Simple 3D Model in AutoCAD

stevesmmmith

Hi everyone,

I am new to AutoCAD and I need some guidance on creating a simple 3D model. I’ve used 2D drawing tools but 3D is completely new to me. Here’s what I need help with:

Basic steps to start a 3D model in AutoCAD.

• How to create basic shapes like cubes and cylinders.
  • Tips on navigating the 3D workspace.
  • Any useful commands or shortcuts for beginners.

I’d appreciate any tutorials, videos or personal tips you could share. I am eager to learn and get better at using AutoCAD for 3D modeling. I already went through this: https://all3dp.com/2/autocad-3d-drawing-tutorial-powerapps/ but couldn't understand so I am looking forward to some advice and suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve😀

First thing to understand about 3D modeling is that your workflow will be arranged around your end product. Do you want a photorealistic scene you can render? Do you want a figure you can animate? Do you want a precise design you can send to a 3D printer or CNC router?

For basic shapes, AutoCAD has an assortment of primitive solids. In other words, you can use one command to draw a simple object. They include Box, Sphere, Cylinder, Cone, Wedge, Torus, Pyramid, and Polysolid. All you have to provide is the size.

Working in 3D takes some extra skills, especially space relations. Be extra careful about coordinate systems: you can change your UCS to make things easier to see and understand, but if you draw objects in that UCS, they won't be coplanar with others. If you'll be doing rendering, start learning materials and lighting, they will make or break your output.