Is it possible to draw a rectangle around the repeatable pattern of a hatch

3dwannab

I've downloaded some stone hatch patterns and would like to simplify the hatch pattern so I was wanting to draw a rectangle around the repeatable hatch pattern, explode it, simplify it and then create a new hatch pattern based of that.

See attached .dwg and .pat file.

image.thumb.png.7aaaa8b608c27b2f901d3d758f54e082.png

Hatch Pattern (How Do I Draw Around the Repeatable Pattern).dwg Muratura-pietra-02.PAT

The second and third terms of each line in the pattern file are the coordinates of the start of a line. So one can extract all points, all 3059 lines in this hatch pattern. Then they can be plotted and one can see the repeatable pattern and draw a rectangle around it.

Hatch patterns usually start at 0,0 coordinate, so a good start is to draw a 1x1 rectangle from 0,0. This actually was the case here.

Although there are 3059 lines in this hatch pattern, there were also 15 gaps which are plainly visible when zoomed in.

Repeat-hatch.PNG

I see, thanks. I was aware of that but for some reason I must've messed up somewhere.

I'm not having much luck getting this one though.

Hatch-Stone-01.pat

This is it at scale 1 with a 1x1 square.

image.png.09db0c37979598ba0be9b7bc714db1dd.png

Edited by 3dwannab

I used a 100 x 100 square and it showed up.

The main pattern seemed to be within a 50 x 50 square, but there were some line start points outside this square. They may be duplicates, I have not got the energy to delve deeper. Or they may be valid points, just initiating outside the square. That should not matter.

New hatch rectangle.PNG

• Like 1

Thanks.

I would love to have the skills to write a program to read a pat file, create a square boundary, hatch it with a scale of 1 so I could explode it, fix it, and then export the .pat file again.