Insert .dwg into current drawing from tool palette

Is it possible to insert a full .dwg file as a block into the current open drawing from a tool palette?

Our detail library is organized by type and housed in about 30 separate .dwg files, each containing dozens of details.

I want users to be able to click the relevant detail library type and insert it as a block into the current open drawing. Making the entire contents of each file a block is a last resort, as it complicates modifications and updates over time.

One idea I had was to create a custom LISP routine that inserts each file, and add that LISP to the tool palette.

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

A quick answer is use Lee-mac.com Steal.lsp, you can get a block from another dwg. You can (load "Steal") then run the defun without any user input. 

Something like this done via a pop menu, others will suggest tool Palettes. screenshot89.png.113799740b50660205f2c86465f1c5e7.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BIGAL said:

A quick answer is use Lee-mac.com Steal.lsp, you can get a block from another dwg. You can (load "Steal") then run the defun without any user input. 

Something like this done via a pop menu, others will suggest tool Palettes. screenshot89.png.113799740b50660205f2c86465f1c5e7.png

I have used Lee's steal.lsp previously, the issue with this scenario is that our details aren't individual blocks

What I have settled on (for now) is adding a lisp routine for each file to the tool palette so my users can simply click the relevant icon, and the entire file is inserted. see below;

I have a similar lisp for each file

(defun c:INSERT_CONCRETE_SHEARWALLS ()
  (setq FILE_PATH "Z:\\_TEMPLATES\\CAD Templates\\_Detail Library\\CONCRETE SHEARWALLS.dwg")
  (command "INSERT" FILE_PATH (list 0.0 0.0 0.0) "1" "1" "0")
  (princ)
)

then in the tool palette i add this code;

(load "Z:/_TEMPLATES/CAD Templates/_LISP/_Deployed/_DETAILLIBRARY - InsertDetailFiles.lsp");INSERT_CONCRETE_SHEARWALLS

it works fairly well, though i wish autocad would allow you to simply add a full .dwg file to palettes

Posted (edited)

I have used Steal a great program this is all you need. As a line in a mnu.

^c^C(if (not "steal")(load "StealV1-8"))(Steal "C:\\CAD-TOOLS\\XXX.dwg" '(("Blocks"  ("AC"))))(command "-insert" "AC")

It brings in one block from another dwg test it.

I would make it a bit simpler, as load a lisp then run a defun with block name. You can have the load steal in the grabblk lisp.

^C^C(if (not grabblk)(load "grabblks"))(grabblk "ac")

Edited by BIGAL

8 minutes ago, BIGAL said:

I have used Steal a great program this is all you need. As a line in a mnu.

^c^C(if (not "steal")(load "StealV1-8"))(Steal "C:\\CAD-TOOLS\\XXX.dwg" '(("Blocks"  ("AC"))))(command "-insert" "AC")

It brings in one block from another dwg test it.

I would make it a bit simpler, as load a lisp then run a defun with block name. You can have the load steal in the grabblk lisp.

^C^C(if (not grabblk)(load "grabblks"))(grabblk "ac")

ill try it out when i get some time to mess around with it this week

thanks!