VISRETAIN through ATTACHED Xrefs

chulse

Ok here goes - undecided.gif

I have a site plan (DWG1) with several component files xrefed in as "attached" (vs. OVERLAY, so they will carry forward). VISRETAIN=1 in DWG1 and it is colored how I want it.

Then I xref the compiled site plan(DWG1) into another file with the sheet layouts in it (DWG2). VISRETAIN=0 in DWG2.

I want the colors and layer settings established in DWG1 to carry to DWG2, but all the Attached Xrefs come in in their original form (with all the original layer settings, not what I have set up in DWG1).

Is it possible to use ATTACHED xrefs and keep layer settings when the file is then xrefed into another dwg? ...or do I need to change the layer settings in either the original source file or the end target...?

Thanks in advance.

I think the effects of Visretain are only in relation to the DWG in which the xrefs are placed. If that dwg (in your case DWG1) is then xref'd into another drawing (your DWG2) then all layer changes produced in DWG1 to the xrefs will not be carried forward to DWG2. I think if you are using xrefs in this manner, then you really need to make changes to the layers within the xrefs themselves.