Help in Making Helix Gear

This is the menu of the 2DGear.lsp in my AutoCAD (see attached image please).

What should I do in order to create the helical of my gear?

What is pitch and how do I measure the pitch of my helical gear?

What should I choose in the Gear Type section?

How do I enter the value of the diameter of my helical gear to 58.3 mm?

2D_Gear_lsp_menu.PNG

Edited by basty

1 hour ago, lrm said:

@basty    Zooming in on the gear image you posted it is difficult to delineate the tooth profile from the 3rd dimension of the tooth.  In the image below I have roughly shown what I think is the tooth profile in yellow and its depth in red.  If you add some side lighting to the gear before taking the picture you may be able to see the involute more clearly.

This is the bigger picture of my gear.

PlasticGearBottom.jpg

You can buy NYLON as a blank in sheets or round which is what you need. Or machine it from Aluminimum which should be tougher than the plastic.

Edited by BIGAL

On 11/14/2023 at 1:15 AM, lrm said:

Do these teeth mesh with another gear or are they used to come in contact with something else to do the paper shredding?

What is "mesh" on "mesh with another gear" mean?

@basty  Sorry for the delay in responding. In a gear train one gear pushes against another.  Since mating gears are usualy of differet diameters the result is a reduction, or and increase, of the rotational velocity from one gear to the next.  Gear teeth usually have an involute profile (also known as a catenary curve).  This shape is the most efficient for transferring the forces between gear teeth that "mesh" (come together).  In thinking about a paper shredder it is unlikely that the teeth that do the shredding are involutes as they may not be meshing with another gear but may be used against a fixed plate as in the illustration below.

image.png.bb7146e09962884068a222b760f707e2.png

or the damaged piece that you have is ysed in an offset specially design arrangement like the following.

image.png.05e0ef7673d7b358818d9490f54671ea.png

@basty if it's easier, just create a bunch of points in a spreadsheet and copy and past the x,y column data (column E in the example below) into AutoCAD after typing pline.

As  I mentioned earlier, I do not think the teeth you need to reproduce are involutes as I think the function is to shred paper and not to come in contact with another gear.

image.png.c2c30e4eaa37c85f1e077966bbea98e8.png

10 hours ago, BIGAL said:

Just convert formula to lisp syntax, use more than 1 line to make it easier to generate.

(* (cos t) r) you can do the rest.

(setq pt (list x y))

Can you teach me how to make a lisp?

Does it require payment?

Can you point me where I can enroll an online course for creating lisp?

9 hours ago, lrm said:

@basty if it's easier, just create a bunch of points in a spreadsheet and copy and past the x,y column data (column E in the example below) into AutoCAD after typing pline.

As  I mentioned earlier, I do not think the teeth you need to reproduce are involutes as I think the function is to shred paper and not to come in contact with another gear.

image.png.c2c30e4eaa37c85f1e077966bbea98e8.png

What is spreadsheet?

OK, so now you want us to teach you what a spreadsheet is and how to create one?  When did this become a Microsoft Office help site?   "A spreadsheet or worksheet is a file made of rows and columns that help sort, organize, and arrange data efficiently, and calculate numerical data. What makes a spreadsheet software program unique is its ability to calculate values using mathematical formulas and the data in cells."

• Like 1