Is there a way to turn off layers and not not have them turning back on when editing a block with those layers?

victorn113

I have a task to clean up a drawing, i have a list of layers that need to be deleted. Some of those unneeded layers are saved into blocks. I try to only keep those layers on and delete them from individual blocks but when opening block editor everything in that block turns on. This is very annoying and makes the task a lot more complicated.

Have you tried the command LAYDEL? LAYer DELete will get rid of a layer, no matter what is on it or where, and then purge the layer. You wouldn't need to open these blocks and remove the offending objects.

But tell your boss you had to do it all by hand.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks, I'm aware but the team specifically doesn't want us to use it. I am just trying to get to the root cause applied to our existing method and see if there is even such a setting. I may be wrong and it might just be a way blocks always behave. Either way would be good to know for common knowledge.

15 hours ago, victorn113 said:

I have a task to clean up a drawing, i have a list of layers that need to be deleted. Some of those unneeded layers are saved into blocks. I try to only keep those layers on and delete them from individual blocks but when opening block editor everything in that block turns on. This is very annoying and makes the task a lot more complicated.

Create a new layer, for example "Unused". Move all unnecessary layers to this layer. Create a new block using only the objects from the "Unused" layer. Delete the "Unused" layer.
This method can be a little time consuming, but it will allow you to remove unwanted layers from blocks without using the LAYDEL command.

I'm not sure but I think that the layers all turn on in block editor - they do for me generally.

What you could do is 'lock' the layers that you want to keep, unlock the layers you want to delete - that setting carries through to block editor. Then delete the unwanted entities - everything you want is on locked layers and should be OK. Note that with this, for example, any block that is on an unlocked layer will be deleted even if it contains entities that are on locked layers, so be wary, but it is good for lines, text, arcs......

• Like 1

Why not use a LISP solution?

Why do they not want to use LAYDEL?

If the existing method isn't working or is cumbersome, the method needs to change.

Locking the layer should work, but LISP would be much smoother. A search should come up with a LISP to delete a list of layers.

16 hours ago, victorn113 said:

Thanks, I'm aware but the team specifically doesn't want us to use it. I am just trying to get to the root cause applied to our existing method and see if there is even such a setting. I may be wrong and it might just be a way blocks always behave. Either way would be good to know for common knowledge.

StevenP is right, the block editor shows all layers even if they're turned off. There are pros and cons, but that's the decision they made.

Not sure what you mean by "setting." Not sure why you can't use Layer Delete to delete layers. Not sure how you can make a block with unneeded layers. Then again, I've worked at places where some of their procedures don't make much sense.

19 hours ago, CyberAngel said:

StevenP is right, the block editor shows all layers even if they're turned off. There are pros and cons, but that's the decision they made.

Not sure what you mean by "setting." Not sure why you can't use Layer Delete to delete layers. Not sure how you can make a block with unneeded layers. Then again, I've worked at places where some of their procedures don't make much sense.

http://www.bangladesh-bank.org/mostbet/tr/

I agree with you, Maybe they want all layers to be visible in the block editor or want users to be able to reuse layers in other blocks.