Updated AISC Shapes for STL.LSP

gtwatson

If you use Al Roger's old Lisp code to draw structural shapes (STL.LSP), I have replaced his old 9th Edition AISC shapes with the latest 16th edition shapes.  I left his data for the Metric shapes alone since I did not have a source for the dimensions. His Lisp routine reads several DIM files that contain the shape data and I have not touched it. I just replaced his old DIM files with new ones. When I did the DIM files for the 13th edition of AISC, I kept Al's old data and appended a 9th on the end of the shape name and the 13th edition was added onto the end of the data. IIRC, the AISC has a spreadsheet with very old profiles for steel shapes from the late 1800's and the motivated user could add the old shapes at the end of the DIM files. The 16th edition of the AISC shape data includes many new rolled sizes.

In order to use the Lisp, you have to unzip the package into a folder in your search path where it loads your LSP files and all the DIM files must be in the same folder so his program can find them along with the help file. I tested the program out on my 2024 version of ACAD and have used it on all prior ACAD versions that I've used for many years. 

For new users, after you Load the Lisp, you just type STL and his dialog window pops up and you select the shape and size and the 2D End, 2D Top, 2D Side, 3D Sold, or 3D Surface, and the Lisp will draw the shape. 

I'm a Structural Engineer and use STL to draw the shapes to see if the shape is too close to the anchor bolts on my base plate design. I don't do much drafting and not much Lisp, so I am in awe of the talent that came up with this code.  I just occasionally edit the DIM files so it can draw new shapes. 

Edit--Edit--

I found an error in the Stl_Tube.DIM file and it was corrected with the revised ZIP below. I also edited the DCL file to change the Label for Tubes to HSS which is what the AISC now calls them.

I found another error in the LSP code with a divide by 2 producing errors (it should have been /2.0)  )  

HTH

Al's Steel Mill 2023_R1.zip

Edited by gtwatson
Found error in a DIM file in the ZIP and error in the LSP
  • Thanks 1

For those that D/L the zip, please D/L the revised version. I found an error in a DIM file for round HSS tubes. I had put the wall thickness in instead of the ID that it was expecting so the tubes were very thick.

I updated the ZIP with a newer version that fixed a divide by Integer error in the original LSP file. I don't know enough about Lisp to make the other changes. I found a revised STL.LSP file on a Autodesk forum that had a few more DIM files for Metric, but I kept the original work by Al Rogers. Do a search for STL-2dot0.LSP to see what I found. It may be worthwhile to combine my revised DIM files for the 16th edition of AISC with those other DIM files to make a revised STL.LSP solution.

If I knew enough about DCL and Lisp, I would have multiple version DIM files so the user could pick which version of the AISC shapes they wanted to draw. Al's original DIM files were from the 9th edition and we are up to the 16th edition now. 

Edited by gtwatson
Found another error

Great contribution, I have a dynamic block for W profiles, section, elevation and plan, I took it from a UK site and arranged it for the Mexican standard, maybe it will help you. I also have dynamic blocks of channels, angles and tubes.

imca_papaqui_2023.dwg

• 10 months later...

Is this subject still relevant? Because this lisp seems very interesting to me. Good night Biagio

toujours d’actualité ce sujet ?

Car ce lisp il me parait très intéressant.

Bonne soirée

Biagio

Edited by SLW210
Translate to English

The Al's Steel Mill Lisp by Al Rogers is very useful. It uses AISC (American) standards and what is posted is an update to those standards.

There is most likely a version for metric countries and there is an Australian version as well (maybe Wiley's?).

Bonjour SLW210

Merci pour ta réponse

J’ai téléchargé cette version, voici mes print-scrine, mais il ne se passe rien

Il ne dessine pas les profilées une fois choisie

Peut-être que je n’ai pas compris comment faire,

Eque quelqu’un peut m’aider ??

Merci d’avance.

Biagio

01-Capture d'écran 2024-07-30 140516.png

02-Capture d'écran 2024-07-30 141644.png

When you unzip the files, they must be in your search path. The DCL and LSP files read the DIM files to draw the shapes. I added some more recent AISC shapes but have not looked for more since I posted the Lisp. You basically select the Shape (L, W, HP, etc) and select the view (end, top, side, solid) and select the size from the list and hit the OK and the shape will be drawn on the layer that is active.

Al Rogers did 99% of the work on the Lisp and the DCL and I added some new shapes to the DIM files. I did not add anything to the metric shapes and will leave that task for someone else that does metric design and detailing. I'm a structural engineer and use this Lisp to draw shapes to scale to see if my baseplate is too close to the bolt holes or the bolts are too close to the edge.

Just a comment. Why not select the steel shape and ask for bolt hole dia then have a suggestion made about the size of the base plate confirm size then draw. It's been a long time since I did structural dwg's, there are edge rules.

Edited by BIGAL

For my base plates on square tubes, I typically use it to determine the plate bending plane(s) to size the plate thickness. The anchor bolt locations are usually fixed by standard patterns. I also design and modify lattice transmission towers and need to layout connections to add plates or angles. For those in the 3D world of ACAD ( I am a rank beginner) the 3D Solid option will create a solid extruded entity of the shape. About 99% of my CAD is 2D lines and circles with a little text and weld symbols.  

The plate connections etc can be drawn via lisp just a case of say using a dcl for input of data, then draw object.

If happy to spend the time can do dynamic block.

Post sample dogs of connections then comments can be made about how to draw 

Merci Gtwatson, Bigal et Catoscuro

Pour vos renseignements

Pour Catoscuro, dommage que je n’ai pas pu ouvrir ton dessin : plaça base_1.dwg il me dit

que il a été dessiné par une version plus récente, moi j’ai la 2016 de Autocad.

Pour Gtwatson

Bien sûr que le dossier de STL est dans le bon chemin de Autocad, là où il y a le lisp

Le dcl ect.

Mais je n’ai pas encore saisi la procédure, tout les points qu’il me demande.

Je cherche encore

Bonne journée

Biagio

Steps after typing STL at the prompt to start the program:
1) Select the Shape button (in your screen shot you selected Pipe-Std

2) Select the View you want (2d end etc.)

3) Select the size from the drop down Size table.

4) The OK button will now be available, and you select OK.

5) The dialog box will go away and you select a point on your drawing to start the shape. Each shape has a different starting point.

6) Doubly symmetric shapes like pipes will draw the shape

7) Singly symmetric shapes like angles will put the shape in and you can rotate it as you like dynamically.

8 ) To draw another shape, you type in STL again and repeat as needed.

STL-demo.jpg