Vector PDF Reference Converted to Raster Image When Plotting

Mike_Taylor

So, interesting issue has come up. We are currently working with a local utility and in doing so are required to reference their duct bank details for coordination purposes. The details are Vector PDF's generated from AutoCAD. All layer information is present in the PDF, there is no security on the PDF files either.

After importing and then plotting our sheets to PDF, AutoCAD is rasterizing the PDF files. The biggest issue (apart from 7-10MB Files per sheet) is that some of the details have "artifacting" on them causing random lines to show up. Print preview does not show these. 

I have tried the following troubleshooting:

• Reimported the PDF files. 
  • Plotted with PDF's in both Papersapce and Model Space.
  • Used multiple PDF Plotters (BlueBeam, DWG to PDF, Acute etc.)
    • I also modified the graphics options in a few to try and have this not happen). 
  • I have dug through all of the system variables and nothing was apparent that controls this. (Hoping I missed something here)
  • Tweaked colour and plot settings in the PDF object in CAD to see if something there was forcing it. 

The workaround I am using is to save the PDF as an image file and link that image. Its pre-rasterized so the artifacting doesn't show up. 

Has anyone seen something similar/have any ideas?

• 9 months later...

Check the PDF quality settings in AutoCAD. You can access these settings by going to AutoCAD Menu > Export > PDF > Options. Here, you can adjust the overrides precision and Merge Control settings. It’s also recommended to increase the vector quality DPI in the .PC3 file being used.  If you’re using raster images within your PDFs, consider decreasing the raster or OLE resolution for the output device to around 200 DPI. This can be done from the PLOT dialog box by selecting Printer/Plotter Properties..., then the Device and Document Settings tab, and adjusting the settings under Graphics or Raster Graphics. 

Not sure how this got by without a response...but, never too late.

AFAIK, you would need to Import as Objects in order to replot them as Vector, seems a Referenced PDF will always plot to PDF as Raster.

You could make each vector PDF a drawing of it's own, then reference the drawing.