Contour labels appear in some layouts, not others

CyberAngel

I have two surfaces with contour labels. In two of my three layouts, the labels appear. In the third, they don't.

I checked the label style layer, the label color overrides in the style (all ByLayer), the contour label layers, the surface layers, and the surface style layers. All the layers are turned on in all the viewports (I used one layer state and copied it). As noted, they are visible in two viewports.

The only unusual thing is that the colors for the contours and the labels are overridden in the layouts. I've had some weird things happen lately, possibly because of my graphics card.

I've tried changing all the layer colors, turning them on and off, turning the overrides on and off. None of that makes any difference. The viewports have the same visual style, the same scale, the same everything. The text style isn't annotative.

I exploded the contour labels. They showed up, no problem. It's not a scale problem.

I'd like to post a drawing, but even cutting out the irrelevant stuff, it would be several MB. That's just how Civil 3D rolls.

Any ideas what's going on here? Anybody?

Edit: I can't tell you what was wrong, but when I moved the surfaces to layer 0, the missing contour labels magically appeared. Also, they were showing up in the plot previews, just not on the screen. Chalk it up to another graphics issue.

Edited by CyberAngel

One tip might be to make a new viewport, failing that copy to a new drawing and see if that helps... resets everything to default though, viewport scales, colours and so on, or copy a layout that works and go from there.

Oh, also close and restart CAD and the drawng - the old turn it off and on again

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's a month later, and the weirdness continues. I upgraded my graphics driver to the manufacturer's latest. Before, it was the generic Windows driver. There's some difference, but not much to shout about so far.

Today there was a surface with the contour colors overridden. On the print preview, though, the original colors showed up. I removed the color override in the viewport and changed the layer color. That did the trick. How, I can't tell you.

At this point I'm just sharing workarounds in case someone else has the same issues.

I have had luck at times by rolling back drivers. Is there an Autodesk recommended driver for your card? What are the Card and computer specifications?

Is this just Civil 3D or also AutoCAD?

On 6/14/2023 at 6:52 AM, SLW210 said:

I have had luck at times by rolling back drivers. Is there an Autodesk recommended driver for your card? What are the Card and computer specifications?

Is this just Civil 3D or also AutoCAD?

The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super. The IT guy downloaded the latest driver from GeForce's site. I watched him do it.

I don't see this card on the approved list.

The CPU is 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700f, 2.5 GHz, 16GB RAM. As far as I can tell, it meets the specs for Civil 3D 2021.

This system doesn't have vanilla AutoCAD. I have the option to run Civil 3D "as AutoCAD 2021" (which I just learned).

Did you check VPLAYER ? In the Layer dialogue push to the right and check all the VP layer settings. I was pulling my hair out once a guy at my work decided to reset the VP colours so a blue line in model was now red in layout. I had no idea what he had done.

12 hours ago, BIGAL said:

Did you check VPLAYER ? In the Layer dialogue push to the right and check all the VP layer settings. I was pulling my hair out once a guy at my work decided to reset the VP colours so a blue line in model was now red in layout. I had no idea what he had done.

At first glance it looks like VPLAYER does everything that's available in the standard Layer Properties Manager. It turns out I can apply a setting to other layouts, not just the current one. That's handy.

Is there a dialog version I'm missing? It seems to be a text-based command.