AutoCAD 2024 and Windows 11, 1st impressions

f700es

So I just upgraded to a new PC and just installed the new AutoCAD 2024. So far so good and nothing really big or exciting on my end or in how I use AutoCAD. I started using 2024 yesterday and no bugs or issues yet. The update did bring over "most" of my setting so not a lot to adjust other than a few  aliases that I change.

Windows 11 Pro, yeah this is new. Having the start menu and taskbar in the center of the screen is throwing me off a bit. The visuals are very nice, I mean it's a very pretty OS. It looks very "Linux-y" to me. It's also VERY fast! Not sure if this is Windows 11 or my upgraded PC or a combination of both. New PC specs: Dell XPS SE - 12th i9-12900K, 64 gb ram, 1 tb M.2 and RTX 3080.

Honestly I could just stick with AutoCAD 2023 and be just fine but I'm on subscription so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad that work is paying for this upgrade and not me.

2 hours ago, f700es said:

Windows 11 Pro, yeah this is new. Having the start menu and taskbar in the center of the screen is throwing me off a bit.

Same here. I've been using windows 11 for a while and I still forget the start menu is in the center.

Just now, Cad64 said:

Same here. I've been using windows 11 for a while and I still forget the start menu is in the center.

That's going to take a me a bit to get used to.

On 4/14/2023 at 5:38 PM, Cad64 said:

On 4/14/2023 at 5:39 PM, f700es said:

That's going to take a me a bit to get used to.

You can set it to display in the left corner, if you'd like.

2 hours ago, mickeforsberg said:

You can set it to display in the left corner, if you'd like.

Going to try to learn it where it is before doing that ;)

22 minutes ago, f700es said:

Going to try to learn it where it is before doing that ;)

By the time you're used to it I guess there's no point in going back!... which is probably a good idea anyway since I'm sure they will remove the possibility to change the position shortly.

You're probably right. I remember something similar to this with Windows 8. For the brief time I used it I had to run a 3rd party program to emulate some Windows 7 settings.

The center start menu is not that bad and very "Linux" like so it's OK.