Modifying segments of the isometric circle

Squirrel Cottage

Good morning team CADTutor

I trust everyone is fine and dandy on what is a beautiful day here in the land of Squirrel Cottage in the UK.

I’m designing a summer house with a curved roof for a local group. I’m doing several isometric exploded views of the roof construction, I have drawn the curvature of the roof by drawing an isometric circle and then trimmed to suit. I’m now trying to stretch these segments of the isometric circle but all I seem to be able to do is move each of the lines.

Any ideas on how to modify these segments of the isometric circle so they can be stretched?   

Because a picture is equal to a thousand words I have attached 3 screenshots.

You will see in screenshot 2 why I want to do this.

Kind regards

Squirrel Cottage          

screenshot 1.png

screenshot 2.png

screenshot 3.png

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't done much work with isometric curves, but I think they are built out of ellipses, and they are constricted to a plane. That's why you can't move them.

Is it possible to move the other objects to fit the ends of the curve? That's like painting your bullseye around the hole, but sometimes you have to do that in AutoCAD.

Why not draw in 3d look into thickness, Can draw all in plan add thickness to member say 100mm.

5 minutes work

image.thumb.png.5397ebb5827430e16b59747d0f24600e.png

image.thumb.png.eaae248b66e36c8c4013d33d3b6d5ab0.png

making the arch a solid would be better if it was a UB then extrude along path. 

Oh Yeah big hint ROTATE3D.

Hi CyberAngal & BIDAL

Thank you for your advice it is most appreciated.

I got it sorted by drawing it from the roof down and in exploded view.

Exploded view .png

10 hours ago, BIGAL said:

Glad to here you got it to work.

Do you do the frames a lot ? Have code for those. Plan view only but could be extruded into a 3d. 

image.thumb.png.a3b08f59cfaacb1e0ebbf6394b0ad5ca.png

Hi BIGAL

Thank you for the offer but I don’t do much these days. I’m a retired cabinet maker and been retired for getting on for 10 years. I have used the magic of AutoCAD on and off since 2004 when I gained my City and Guilds in AutoCAD 2004. In my previous life has a cabinet maker I used it a weekly basis, doing detailing for architects, designing games rooms, display cabinets etc, etc.

I was a member CADTutor way, way back in the day and found it very, very useful ( I think my profile name was Bespoke but not sure)

Once again thank you for the offer.