OLE Excel in multiple Dynamic Blocks -or- Tables

ColinPearson

Hey folks.  I've got a question about using info from Excel in multiple dynamic blocks.  I use PASTESPEC to insert a little snip of a spreadsheet into drawings all teh time and have recently been putting some info into Dynamic Blocks that way.  I wanted to start making changes to some of my blocks this morning and realized something.  I entered the info for Block A and PASTESPEC that bit of Excel sheet in.  Then I copy  that Excel OLE, closed Block A, and went to paste the OLE into Block B to update with its own information.  I realized that if I changed anything in the Block A info while I was in the sheet via double-clicking the OLE while Block B is open in Block Editor, that info does NOT update in Block A.  The Excel worksheet in Black A and Block B are actually two separate copies.

So my question is... if there isn't a way to keep all the info in a single Worksheet for all Block A thru Z in this drawing (so the info could be easily updated for any/all blocks in one place), is there a compelling reason to PASTESPEC from Excel versus just inserting a Table in each block?  I'm about to update a bunch of blocks and wanted to ask if anyone had any insight on pros/cons.  I've had some weird stuff happen before with Data Links, so I'm hesitant to go that route.  I'm also really looking to ensure the longevity of these blocks AND I want to make sure if I email this .dwg to colleagues that the blocks will behave for them.  My suspicion is that just inserting Tables in each Block is the way to go

Anyway, thanks y'all!

You can read a selection from excel and then make a table of that info, just not sure how you would do that to inside a block, as a separate table yes can do. Direct read from excel using lisp.

Edited by BIGAL
  • Like 1