Edit Block Description Without Exploding

trentmoore

I have mulitple dynamic blocks that I would like to add descriptions to. If I have a block in a tool palette, I can add a description by right clicking and selecting "Properties." But I would like to add a description that shows up in the Design Center as well.

Is there a way to do this without redefining the block? Exploding makes me lose all of my dynamic properties, and I'd hate to have to recreate them.

I'm using LT 2008, by the way, so I don't have refedit or any of that other cool stuff.

Thanks for any help.

Use the block command. Select the name of the block from the list. Add the description and click on OK. Be sure to uncheck the options to specify on-screen

Almost, but not quite. Using this method erases the dynamic properites of the block. I don't think I can do what I want to with a dynamic block, but I'm happy enough changing the description in the palette at least.

Thanks again.

Edited by trentmoore

You can open up the block editor (bedit) find the block you want to change and save it as a different block name with the description you want. Then you can purge out the original block that you don't want after you save it.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe it's a LT thing, but when I choose "Save Block As" is the block editor, it only lets me enter a new name, not a description.

It's a pretty piddling thing I'm trying to do anyway, and I can just turn off the description window in Design Center. But doesn't it seem like you should be able change a description after the fact? I mean, if you make a typo when you first create the block, you're stuck with it (if you add dynamic properties that you don't want to lose).

Ah, well . . .

Again, thanks for the help. I'm glad these forums are here.

• 2 years later...

Make sure you're editing the source block, which is likely not the block stored in the drawing you have open. To find the source, right click on the block in the tool palette, then Properties, then Source File. Likewise, make sure the Design Center is also referencing blocks in the same source drawing as the tool palette.

** edit - Doh... old topic. lol

Hey, no problem with new answers to old problems. I'm still alive.

And it reminded me to figure this out. It's simple, of course: Open the block in the block editor. Then open the Properties palette. With nothing selected, scroll to the bottom of the palette, where the Description is listed and easily editable.

I had tested the Properties palette while in model space and (I thought) all aspects of the block editor, but never the Properties palette in the Block Editor itself. I knew it had to be a simple answer. Thanks for reminding me to get rid of this minor annoyance. That two-year old typo is now just a memory.

Oh, and the answer was even older than my question: http://forums.augi.com/archive/index.php/t-42573.html

Apparently, I need more training with Google as well.

• 12 years later...
On 2/19/2009 at 9:50 AM, trentmoore said:

I have mulitple dynamic blocks that I would like to add descriptions to. If I have a block in a tool palette, I can add a description by right clicking and selecting "Properties." But I would like to add a description that shows up in the Design Center as well.

Is there a way to do this without redefining the block? Exploding makes me lose all of my dynamic properties, and I'd hate to have to recreate them.

I'm using LT 2008, by the way, so I don't have refedit or any of that other cool stuff.

Thanks for any help.

I find that the best way if you want put a description for a block just to make it attribute and make it invisible and put in it part of the block that's why if you're using it for notes you can utilize field's access and change what it says