Sliding Units

nicolas

Hi all, 

Please let me know the general principle regarding the positioning of the 2 main openable panels for a 4 Panels on 2 Rails Sliding Door. 

Many thanks in advance. 

2003-001 SlidingUnit.jpg

The panels are located in metal tracks secured to both the floor as well as the sides and the jamb above the doors.  You can always do an Internet search on the topic "How Sliding Glass Doors Work" to learn the basics.  

Thanks.  I know how they are built.  In the 4 Panels on 2 Rails or 2 Tracks, the two main, middle panels are the operable or sliding ones and the two on either side remain fixed.  Some people do like them to slide as well. My inquiry is more about whether to put the sliding parts inside or outside and the reasoning behind. 

2003-001b SlidingUnit.jpg

If it's a shower, you want the panels on the inside, so water doesn't gum up the works. If it's an exterior door, you want the panels on the outside, for the same reason. If there's no water involved, then it comes down to security (locks on the inside) or aesthetics.

Edit: Please disregard this comment, per ReMark below.

Edited by CyberAngel
  • Like 1

Sorry, but I disagree.  The fixed panels should be on the outside and the moveable panels on the inside.  Something like these doors from Renewal by Anderson.

Sliding French Doors.PNG

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1

Thank you very much.  Is there a governing principle or reason for the openable panels to be inside (water-resistance, convenience of operation, security...???). 

4 hours ago, nicolas said:

Thank you very much.  Is there a governing principle or reason for the openable panels to be inside (water-resistance, convenience of operation, security...???). 

"Location-wise, you want your patio sliding door to be inside rather than out. Typically, patio doors will slide inside to keep their track protected from outside elements and debris.  Of course, there are exterior sliding patio door designs, but they will require more maintenance than an inside sliding option."   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Security wise, it is common to have a stick that can be put in the interior track to prevent the inside light from opening. I don't know if that was the reason for this convention, or just a resulting feature.

• Like 1