Text component editor - Add Z value

3dwannab

Hi all, new to Civil 3d as of this week. Used AutoCAD for last 20 years.

So civil 3d. I want to add the z value to a table of a surface to illustrate that. I've went into Settings>Surface>Spot Elevation> Expressions but there's nothing in there that I can see the represents the z value.

As you can see from the table I have the Min and Max elevation but this is just of the surface. It's the elevation of the world units I'm looking.

How is this possible?

Z Value to Put Here.jpg

My Table Currently.jpg

Edited by 3dwannab

• 3dwannab changed the title to Text component editor - Add Z value

Fixed, I extracted a polyline of a contour and used the volume dashboard to create a surface from the survey. The new surface was a elevation 0 so after matching the new surface to the existing the elevation then was correct. I assumed after creating the new surface from the existing that it would be at the correct level.

I ended up using this to get the elevation:

<[Surface Elevation(Um|P1|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]>

Edited by 3dwannab

The expressions are very time consuming to make, ie read STYLES, beg,  borrow, a CIV3D dwt from someone that has similar setup, same with description key sets, basicly 2-3 styles,numeric, alpha, alpha numeric or even a combo as the one used where I used to work had. Oh yeah metric or imperial.

If you can get close you can "IMPORTSTYLEANDSETTINGS" from a dwg.

• Thanks 1

Curious where you're going with this, I've never had a request for anything like what you're describing. Volumes Dashboard makes getting the most accurate volumes possible simple and the ways to display surfaces are easy and can be switched between at any time since they're intelligent objects.

Seems like an odd request from a new Civil 3D user. I remember when I first did a volume I extracted all the contours and calculated the volumes in a table as a check. I was able to get close enough to verify the volume was probably correct but since Civil 3D's method using the TIN was much more accurate I never bothered checking it again. If you want to do the same thing making the contour intervals as small as possible will give you more accurate results but time consuming.

I am in an office and roped into doing civil stuff (Architectural Technician by trade). This is for a flood risk assessment I'm doing for an engineer in the office who can't use any AD software. He wanted the volumes based on contours so this is the way I've went about it. I went the way of doing the volume dashboard method but that meant having to create volumes for each contour.

Here's the table that the engineer can use in his excel spreadsheat to do whatever he's doing with the data.

Table.thumb.jpg.8358a087595becf66d562eada139d632.jpg

5 hours ago, 3dwannab said:

I am in an office and roped into doing civil stuff (Architectural Technician by trade). This is for a flood risk assessment I'm doing for an engineer in the office who can't use any AD software. He wanted the volumes based on contours so this is the way I've went about it. I went the way of doing the volume dashboard method but that meant having to create volumes for each contour.

Here's the table that the engineer can use in his excel spreadsheet to do whatever he's doing with the data.

Engineer request would have been my first guess, had a similar request from one many years ago but after showing him average-end wasn't nearly as accurate as Prismoidal Formula from both my college textbooks and online he never bothered me again. Civil 3D's method using each 3d triangle in the TIN is more accurate still.

Pretty sure his old method was along those lines using an excel sheet. He got all the X, Y and Z values and chucked them into that and worked his magic. Was way above my head. I'll ask him tomorrow if that is the formula he used. 

Have you any links for the method you describe for the civil method which is more accurate? I'm that much of a newb at civil 3d, that half the battle is googling the correct terminology. 

Edited by 3dwannab

The surface method is more accurate than end area volumes. In saying that though the underlying mesh of points making the surface model is important. The more the better, but with a disclaimer, the surface model needs to take into "Breaklines" making the model more accurate, whilst more points are better, the orientation of the field survey points can have an impact also. We compared Lidar data to real survey data for a road surface and it was very good with +- 20mm but the LIdar was a grid based so bumps and hollows are not taken into account. 

One project flood problem, we surveyed an intersection at 1m grids to establish overland water flow, with 1/2 turning left at the intersection and going through a private property.

So if using Google Earth etc its grid based and at what sort of accuracy for Z ? We had photo grammatic levels, then Aerial, then Aerial again for smaller areas at 1m grids. We offered ground survey to be added to the master surface model also. Of course now we have point clouds.

Edited by BIGAL
  • Like 1

It's was a lidar csv file we got with an accuracy of 1.5m in the Z if I recall at 2m grids. I set the contours to 0.1m intervals to get a contour which closely represents the 1000 year flood outline. 

It's in a rural setting in Ireland. Lots of trees that make a lot of noise in the contours but that's not really an issue at the site in question. 

The 1000 year OPW map  is just kissing the inside boundary of our site on the road into it and our proposal is to excavate the same in an adjacent field as what we fill on the road leading to the site. So that's the plan anyway. 

Civil 3d has such a steep learning curve I think. It's interesting but very hard to get to grips with. Pity AD discontinued one module got to do with this. I forget the name of it but it has now branched out to a separate product. BTW, would civil 3d be the best CAD program for flood risk assessments? 

Edited by 3dwannab

I know our flood engineer would spend hours making models of surface and pipe networks. Then ran Tuflow.

https://www.tuflow.com/

We are talking here big areas. In particular for suburb subdivision design.

Sorry can not amke any comment about how good the software is. It was at times compared to real world on ground flood level checks. 

Here is in AUS we have had like 4 flood seasons in one year. Flood levels measured in metres, water going through 1st floor of houses.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I think I will eventually get this down. It's all very new to me atm. The flooding plain here is 21 acres to the 1000 year flood. I guess in AUS that runs into the 1,000's!!