PDF Rendering of Drawings VERY SLOW

resullins

I have some drawing sets for a project... and the project managers and some other people are complaining about the slow page rendering speed when scrolling. I use Bluebeam, and have done all the things that they suggest to speed things up, but I feel like maybe I need to start with the CAD output. What can I do to minimize PDf size and speed up scrolling without sacrificing PDF quality? Are there plot settings I'm missing? Should I use AutoCAD's PDF driver or Adobe/Bluebeam's? What should I check here? 

Use the "DWG to PDF" printer to print
Set the quality to 600 dpi or less in the printer settings.
Turn off transparency when printing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If transparency is not the issue, I wanted to share a solution to a similar problem I had when creating PDF files from AutoCAD. 
If the text in your drawing uses fonts with the extension .shx
AutoCAD converts some of the text as PDF comments if you have the variable "pdfshx" set to one.

Changing "pdfshx" to zero will not add comments to the final PDF. 

The PDF file with comments is slow to open, so the problem grows exponentially when adding multiple slow files to an extensive set.
Please look at the examples I posted and check the comments for each file with Adobe or Bluebeam.

I hope this helps,

PDF w PDFSHX set to 0.pdf PDF w PDFSHX set to 1.pdf

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, densan said:

If the text in your drawing uses fonts with the extension .shx
AutoCAD converts some of the text as PDF comments if you have the variable "pdfshx" set to one.

Changing "pdfshx" to zero will not add comments to the final PDF. 

356.71 kB · 0 downloads

Wow. You can learn something every day about AutoCAD. I always wondered where those comments came from.

I already thought about that, but we only use TrueType fonts, specifically Arial, and PDFSHX shouldn't have any affect on those.