MULTIPLOT PDF MODELSPACE

jim78b

OK so it is a VLX file, a compiled LISP file and you can't edit them, you'll need to get the original LISP routines to make any changes to it.ย  The other thing you didn't say is what is the command to make it work, with that we might be able to look at the routine working and suggest if there is anything you can do with the drawing to make it work.

ย 

The last thing you could do is ask if anyone out there has a multiple page PDF plotting routine.... I bet there are some. I don't have one to share, for the time it would take me to write something compared to how often I would use it with the time savings (1 second per plot?), I tend to stick to plotting sheets 1 page at a time

ย 

Failing that go back to the originator and ask them for any tips?

I dont run compiled code that I don't know where it came from. Its unlikely but it could have malicious code in there.

ย 

• Like 1

As Paper Space was introduced over 30 years ago and advances like multiple layouts, Publish command and Sheet Sets that have made output tasks like this so simple.

I've got to ask why???

• Funny 1

On 3/4/2022 at 4:06 PM, BIGAL said:

The Model v's paperspace debateย 

Agreed. Not sure why anyone in this day and age would not use paperspace .. unless still using a 3rd party app created in the mid 80's. Even then you could create layouts to print.ย ย ๐Ÿค“

Edited by ronjonp
  • Thanks 1

88 layouts click 1 button and they all get printed can not keep up with the pdf generation. Plot range of layouts etc just one extra option. You could easy make your title blocks into layouts been done before. Is there a need to work in model space for plotting or as previous comment other software used that plots to model. Again can make layouts as normally have some type of pattern.

ย 

Like Maratovich have a plot all title blocks in model but his is way better than mine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jim78b said:

you don't have to judge my working method

But can it be questioned ?

Edited by ronjonp
  • Like 1

Thanks for reply . Maratovich app is a lot of work i think is better make layouts..create viewports on my title block in model space. The only problem will center them in model space .

• Like 1

I guess we all have our own ways of working, and no one works entirely in the most efficient way, so if Jim78b only uses modelspace then so be it. He is not alone in that. I'll often get drawings sent from one of the bigger manufacturers, multi-million pound business who do the same (CAD doesn't warn me that these were drawn using anything other like some drawings would, I assume they were drawn in AutoCAD).

ย 

Plotting usingย  LISP however is a lot quicker with less user interaction (ability to make an error....) if you use paperspace. The paper size is set up, it is all zoomed to how you want, you can turn on or off layers per viewport and colour them differentlyย  if needed, even set up a sheet to be monochrome.... there are lots of benefits to going paperspace, but back to plotting, my LISPS for plotting "PLOTA3" (or whatever plot I need) and "PlotPDF" is all I need to do,, no other action. If needed I can loop through the paperspaces easily and make a PDF Plot named the same as that. I find it much easier and quicker. The other great benefit I have is that I can batch plot the drawings, very little time saving if you have to pick areas in modelspace to plot, but massively quicker doing it be paperspaces. I'll even return the manufacturers drawings with paperspace set up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jim78b said:

โ€ฆ is a lot of work i think is better make layouts..create viewports on my title block in model space.

There will be work involved in modifying existing drawings to plot using layouts but don't get frustrated.ย 

After you create a few new drawings and import layouts with title blocks and page setups to plot them at whatever size is required you'll see how much time you'll save.ย 

Importing all that can quickly be done with macros or lisp like Lee Mac's Steal from Drawing which will bring everything in with one call.

ย 

If you have any questions on using layouts start a new thread. As they're how most drawings are plotted you'll get a lot of help on the subject.

• Thanks 1

Might be that someone has a LISP that will create layouts and viewports based on you clicking the corners of your model space layouts. I don't but it is the type of thing someone might have seen somewhere.

ย 

Thinking invoke LISP, select opposing pairs of corners, LISP works out paper size based on the selected corners, creates layout and viewport for each?

• Thanks 1