Plans drawn by absolute beginner - Save to PDF

Trevolly

Good Evening,

I am wondering if I could ask if anyone could help with an issue I am currently having.  I have drawn plans for a proposed alteration to a fenceline at my property ( its only to higher the fence by 60cms but I need planning permission for it so I am trying to save money on drawing the plans myself seeing as its £220 planning permission for a very small alteration).  I have never used Autocad before, am an absolute beginner and am currently on a trial version.  I have drawn the plans to my requirement ( I think) but when trying to export them as a pdf they never seem to fill the A4 layout, leaving loads of space on the page (I choose landscape and then window and select the specific drawing).  I also find that the measurements display very small (I have enlarged them).

Is there any advice or help anyone could offer please?  I would like x3 pdf's showing a different drawing on each.

AutoCAD has a language all of its own, and some replies well may baffle you.

Hopefully you have drawn the plans to full scale, i.e.one of your chosen units (metre, millimetre, foot, inch, furlong, etc.) unit is one drawing unit. That makes matters so much more simple.

You have to decide the scale of the output A4 drawings which makes it easier to size the dimensions.

Whatever people say, it IS allowable to plot from Model Space instead of Paper Space (Layouts). I have been doing it for 30 years and have not suffered any bad effects. You may be in the UK, so at this time (8.00 p.m.) most replies may be from other parts of the world.

So, as time would seem to be a factor, you should post the drawing that you have done, and then some kind soul can either edit your drawing or post some suitable A4 PDFs, or provide some incomprehensible advice.

I presume that your Block Plan and Location Plan have been provided by others.

• Like 1

Hello Trevolly, welcome to CadTutor forum.  :)

As a complete beginner, you may be unaware that your drawing should be created in MODELSPACE, life size, as mentioned by Eldon.

It would be a great idea, as per previous posts, to POST your .dwg file.

Help available and willing forum members to more easily help you.

You can do a FIT area of a selected window, also select center plot, whilst this results in a random scale it should be ok for what you want in terms of a planning submission add text some where "Not to Scale".

Ok if you use a layout create a model view say 297-12 x 210-12 in size start at 0,0 upper right 285,198. Then click inside and zoom extents, your plan should appear at some scale. Ok a handy hint -toolbar viewports show. The viewports tool bar will appear. The nice thing about metric is that you can simple use the toolbar to set a true scale, click inside the viewport a number will appear, you can overwrite this number and the viewport will be rescaled say number is 4.5678 so put in 5 that is 1:200. Use whole numbers. Ok now plot using window and a plot scale of 1:1 should work.

Just zoom in on the area wanted you say 3 sheets and again set scale then plot.

Edited by BIGAL