Generate BOM or Part List of 3DSOLIDs

lamensterms

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a tool or routine that will generate a basic part list of selected 3DSOLIDs.

Kinda similar to:

Post #2 here: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/3d-solid-dimensions/m-p/2571580/highlight/true#M282655

Post #3 here: https://www.cadtutor.net/forum/topic/16993-3d-objects-volume-lisp-required/?do=findComment&comment=139394

These above routines do pretty much what I'm hoping for, but will only work on a single selected item.  I'd like to be able to execute this routine on multiple items, with output as either ACAD table, or .TXT or .CSV (then I can format in Excel).

The application is to generate a quick BOM for selected 3DSOLID elements.  My new job uses a few subbies that use Inventor for steel detailing.  I've got no experience with Inventor, but one of it's greatest shortcomings in this field is their BOM export relies on manual data entry for each part.  To my knowledge, Inventor is incapable of automatically assigning dimension properties to parts, so the BOMs that our subbies are giving us are only showing very basic data, for example - part number & qty, but no part dimensions.

Critical fields are:

QTY

Length

Width

Height

Thanks for any help guys!

Edited by lamensterms

Would massprop do

Mass:                    28716335.8463
Volume:                  28716335.8463
Bounding box:         X: 8385.1459  --  9240.2806
                      Y: 2515.2082  --  3370.3430
                      Z: 0.0000  --  50.0000

You write the answer to a file then reread it so read lines 4,5,6 = length width height bit rough but closer than nothing.

• Like 1

DataExtraction table is probably as close as you will get out of the box in AutoCad,

I sense you are missing ProSteel as you write this.

I will play around with it a bit, and see what information can be extracted.

I use DX tables just to itemize names and counts of items in different Modules, but it is highly configurable.

I will take a look at available parametrics for display on their lists.

I was pretty surprised by the conspicuous inability to shed any light on this using Data Extraction.

It would just tell me How many and that they were 3D Solids, all kinds of other stuff

could be accessed, but essentially having little to nothing to do with a BOM, nor even Steel for that matter.

Not for lack of trying, hopefully one of The Lisperati will be able to shed some light.   :beer:

Thanks for the replies guys.

@BIGAL - Thanks for the tip on MASSPROP, that could lead to a solution.  Would require a bit of processing for the output data.

@Dadgad - Yes sorely missing ProSteel for this task.  Inventor is definitely not the right tool for the job

Are these solids typical steel sections?  The AutoCAD APIs can process straight extrusions fairly easily - extrusions with subsequent Booleans or Slice operations become more of a handful. 

Perhaps post and example drawing, if possible.

Inventor should do what you want. Sounds like the Inventor guys need training, if it's an iProperty, it can be in the BOM, AFAIK. Unless they have messed that up since I last used Inventor years ago.