Select Similar within Window

Jim Clayton

What's up gang.  I'm trying to see if there is a way to use the Select Similar function, while also adding the option to create a Window boundary.  Basically I want to Select Similar objects, but only certain ones in a certain area of the drawing.  Not all of them on the entire drawing.  Does anyone know of a way to do that?  I would greatly appreciate the help.  Tks.

I know that you can use Quick Select on a selection set (which is what's involved in specifying an area). I don't think it's possible to use Select Similar because you've already got a selection set in play.

If I had to do this, I'd list the relevant properties of the item to match, select the area, and use Quick Select to locate my target(s). You can specify that Quick Select will include, exclude, or append the new items in the current set. Edit: That will let you apply multiple properties in sequence.

It's possible to isolate the items in the area and use Select Similar on them, but I believe that hidden items will be included in the results.

Of course, it's always possible to write some code to do this. No doubt Lee Mac has something already cooked up.

Edited by CyberAngel
clarified Quick Select usage
  • Like 2

All good suggestions.  Will have to see what Mr. Mac has in his bag of tricks.  Thanks.  I appreciate the help.