Rotating inside a viewport?

Hogfan

Ok, so i used to do this a few years back and i haven't had to in a long time. So here goes, When i am setting up my section views in a viewport, I "thought" i used align if i wanted to rotate that view say 90 degrees?I would open the viewport and then type align and pick the objects and pick start and stop points. everytime i try this now, it leaves them on an angle and it's all jacked up. So i hit undo and try again to no avail. Not sure if I'm missing a step or using the wrong command? Any help out there? thank you.

The ALIGN command is probably not going to do what you want. It moves the actual object in model space, not your view of it.

One option is to change the UCS in your viewport. You can use the Z option to rotate in two dimensions, all you do then is type in an angle. Once you've reset the UCS, use the PLAN command to rotate your view. Set your scale, lock the viewport, and you're done. That's my preferred method.

Another option is the DVIEW command. I've never sat down and researched it, but it may work better for you.

I'm sure there are other options, there always are.

• Thanks 1

Like Cyber Angel used UCS OB for years then do UCS S and can save the ucs with a name handy when you want multiple swing angles, use UCS R name in viewport.

A quick warning if a object is a 3d object result can be a wrong due to the Z's often drew a temporary line and used UCS OB erased temp line.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, SLW210 said:

I just rotate the viewport. SEE THIS

Maybe you are trying to recall MVSETUP? SEE THIS

I'd never thought of rotating the actual viewport before, always using MVSETUP, thanks for the idea.

• Thanks 1

Twist dview function by BlackBox https://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?174367-multiline-text-rotation&p=1344593#post1344593

Twist dview macro by Tom Beauford 

^C^C^P(setvar 'angdir 1)(setvar 'snapang (getangle "Pick or enter TWist angle : "))(setvar 'angdir 0)(command "_.dview" "all" "" "_tw" (/(*(-(getvar 'snapang))180)pi) "") 

Twist dview function by Tom Beauford

(defun c:TWistVP (/ *error* cmdecho angdir)
  (prompt "\rTWist")

(defun *error* (msg)
    (and cmdecho (setvar 'cmdecho cmdecho))
    (and angdir (setvar 'angdir angdir))
    (if acDoc
      (vla-endundomark acDoc)
    )
    (cond ((not msg))                                                   ; Normal exit
          ((member msg '("Function cancelled" "quit / exit abort")))    ; <esc> or (quit)
          ((princ (strcat "\n** Error: " msg " ** ")))                  ; Fatal error, display it
    )
    (princ)
  )

(if (and (setq cmdecho (getvar 'cmdecho))
           (setvar 'cmdecho 0)
           (setq angdir (getvar 'angdir))
           (setvar 'angdir 1)
      )
    (progn
      (vla-startundomark
        (setq acDoc (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object)))
      )
      (setvar 'snapang (getangle "Pick or enter TWist angle : "))
      (setvar 'angdir 0)
      (command "_.dview" "all" "" "_tw" (/(*(-(getvar 'snapang))180)pi) "")
    )
  )
  (*error* nil)
)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SLW210 said:

I just rotate the viewport. SEE THIS

Maybe you are trying to recall MVSETUP? SEE THIS

I've tried rotating the viewport before, but I didn't know about the VPROTATEASSOC variable. :beer: You learn something every day about AutoCAD.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Learn something every day.... Draw viewport the size I want, set VPROTATEASSOC to 1 and rotate it (and it's view), set it to 0 and rotate it back square again (leaving it's view rotated) and hen set it to 1 again.. yes, that will work. Thsnks

Thank you to everyone for helping me out on this, it was the MVSETUP i was needing or used before. It had been so long I forgot how to do that. I am fixing to be getting back into using it more now than before, so I'll be back!! :)