merge and rotate roofs?

Enigma

Using Autocad Architecture 2020 for the first time, and I'm struggling as to how to modify some roof lines. The house is a sort of "L" shape with gable ends at 90 degrees to each other, and then another gable end on one end slightly lower from a 12' addition several years ago.

I get how to create the gable ends just by dragging the hip line out past, but I'm failing to see how to merge the 2 adjacent roofs together? 

The 12' gable is baffling me as well as it keeps drawing the ridge line 90 degrees out from what I want. I've tried several times to follow the prompts in the command line, but that always just results in a yellow warning symbol in the drawing area.

2021-05-27 13_15_15-Window.png

2021-05-27 13_28_15-Window.png

To be honest, I'd be tempted to redraw it as a single comlex roof - probably easier and quicker than trying to merge the different ones you have.

IIRC there's a gable "switch" (so type G-enter as you're going round) that lets you tell AutoCAD whether this portion of a roof is a gable or not.

dJE

Does your software know you are trying to merge two hip roof styles to a gable style?

Is it stopping you because it knows you cannot merge two roof sections that slope towards each other?

At any rate you can't do that in real life,  You would end up with two slopes draining rain towards each other.  That is asking for immediate leaks and damage.

16 hours ago, BIGAL said:

two slopes draining rain towards each other

Heaps of examples look at Terrace houses. Yeah big problems heavy rain.

What are terrace houses?

Literally, one can do it, but the code requirements around here make it very expensive to work with, and the valley has to have a slope.  One can't just slide a hip roof halfway into a gable side slope.  The result would be a level valley that would not drain completely after rain or snow.  The valley needs a ramp built into it. The yard may as well slope toward the house on all four sides otherwise. 

Oh, yeah.  In snow country you can get a roof to cave in that way.

Here in Florida the inspector is hyper-sensitive about roof construction.  We have these fun events called Hurricanes here.

There are no hips on the OP's example photo.  I wonder if the correct roof type option was chosen in the drawing.

• Funny 1