Wrap 3d object

DJW247

Im just trying to wrap this 3d object i made around this circle have no idea how to acheive this, i also have the 2d verson of my object if i need to wrap it before i extrude it

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I dont do a lot in 3d but you probably need to look at how you would make a gear, you will need to make 1 tooth work out the pitch, array then union them all. 

Others will jump in I am sure. 

Ps need to look at your gear tooth as the inside and outside lengths are different the matching gear has the same pattern. A tricky shape. The red lines are the bottom the green the top of the tooth. Beyond my average 3d stuff.

image.png.efee902aa20e88cff090d675dd0dc9fa.png

Cutter

image.png.ecab0b98bde615bc3eb9c342a7f2d09f.png

Edited by BIGAL
  • Like 1

If you wrap that object around a circle you will have gaps between adjacent sides since they are straight.  If you are constructing a 3D gear there are lisp routines that will do the job for you.

Welcome to CadTutor forums DJW247.   :)

Presumably these teeth are meant to be shaped radially, not along a linear piece as you appear to have modeled it.

Much better to work in the Round from the start.

Figure out what the outside of the tooth should look like.

Created a closed polyline defining that shape.

Extrude or Sweep it along a line or path to the center of the circle.

Take that 3D Solid you created and use a Polar Array to fill the 360 degrees,

You are now well on your way, and I am late for dinner.

Assuming that you have modeled what will become the gaps between the teeth correctly when subtracted, you should be good.

You will want the teeth to be evenly spaced, so they must fill exactly.

Divide the outside circumference of the cylindrical band from which this is being modeled by the number of teeth you want to fill

the 360 degrees.  Dividing that outside circumfernce by 90 gave me that  13.9626344, which I used as the side length of the isosceles triangle.

In that way all the teeth look nice and crisp and are the same size.

After polar arraying my first tooth, I Unioned them, after which I Subtracted them from the cylinder.

That was one of the many ways one might approach this in Autocad.

So many different ways to skin the cat, and most of them are pretty tedious in Autocad, but if you are patient you can usually get there using old school boolean commands.  I hope that helps you.

image.thumb.png.21e8f106ba7e0c2707ad72791668ce66.png

image.thumb.png.0e93395a8b5b749267a0880f2e3eceed.png

Edited by Dadgad
completed 3D Solid image and info added

@BIGAL as long as you paid attention to my circumference directive, to make sure that the tooth you were designing could be divided into 360 degrees

precisely representing the number of teeth wanted, you could use the INTERSECT command.  The two different views drawn with closed Polylines would be extruded along two different axii, and aligned appropriately to yield you an INTERSECT object, which you could then polar array by whatever integer was appropriate for the number of teeth/gaps.   BINGO.  Much better than the way I did it.    :beer: