Survey units, North up but using decimal degrees?

cat3appr

The lisp shows how to set the variables the same as using the units command. Its one of 54 lisp's for civil drafting, its a package, can provide further details. The program accepts ddd.mmss as input much easier to type when entering true bearings with minutes and seconds.

;;----------------------------------------------------------------------------
;        BRNG Input survey information: Bearings, Sideshots
;
;           C:BRNG   Bearing line entries
;           BEARING  User entry of bearing, return angle off x-axis
;----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 5/18/2021 at 4:48 PM, guran said:

Specify origin of UCS or [Face/NAmed/OBject/Previous/View/World/X/Y/Z/ZAxis] <World>: 3
Specify new origin point <0,0,0>: "click anywhere"
Specify point on positive portion of X-axis <-12.108,-79.985,0.000>: "click in the direction you want the x-axis to point"
Specify point on positive-Y portion of the UCS XY plane <-14.108,-79.985,0.000>: "click in the direction you want the y-axis to point"

Good thinking. But for surveying, this is setting a problem. The coordinates are the wrong way round, i.e. the Northings are first then the Eastings. If you can work with that, then good, but you will produce a drawing that conventional surveyors would be perplexed with.

• Like 1

"conventional surveyors would be perplexed with"

No it depends where you are in the world I work with North up and clockwise, the Aussie std, other places use the BRGN DIST, BRGE DIST 

Ps never used UCS just set units correct. @100<45 dist =100 ang = 45

9 hours ago, BIGAL said:

"conventional surveyors would be perplexed with"

No it depends where you are in the world I work with North up and clockwise, the Aussie std, other places use the BRGN DIST, BRGE DIST 

Perhaps I worded my comment loosely. With your system, whenever you ID a point, the coordinates are given X, then Y, which happens to coincide with Easting and Northing that a lot of surveyors use.

If the UCS is set as suggested, it makes it easy to draw Whole Circle bearings as the OP desired, but when one IDs a point, the X is the Northing and the Y is the Easting. Not a problem for you with lots of experience, but for those with less experience, it might prove perplexing. As for the architects who had to use such a drawing, words fail me. Buildings have been built the wrong way round with just such swopping of coordinates.

I have learnt to live with the way AutoCAD works, and can temporarily adjust matters to suit. It is, after all, a foreign language programme for me.

I have just set up a system by altering the UCS as suggested, and all my text is mirrored!

So much easier to alter the angles, as BIGAL suggests, to produce the desired effect.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 9:51 AM, cat3appr said:

thank you I made it!! 👍🤝

On 5/18/2021 at 6:48 PM, guran said:

Specify origin of UCS or [Face/NAmed/OBject/Previous/View/World/X/Y/Z/ZAxis] <World>: 3
Specify new origin point <0,0,0>: "click anywhere"
Specify point on positive portion of X-axis <-12.108,-79.985,0.000>: "click in the direction you want the x-axis to point"
Specify point on positive-Y portion of the UCS XY plane <-14.108,-79.985,0.000>: "click in the direction you want the y-axis to point"

You know what the problem is? that  once I set zero to be north up, if i close CAD and reopen it,  it is gone... i will have to play again with the UCS..... how do i get it  to stay forever??

52 minutes ago, cat3appr said:

You know what the problem is? that  once I set zero to be north up, if i close CAD and reopen it,  it is gone... i will have to play again with the UCS..... how do i get it  to stay forever??

Not sure what you're talking about when asking it to stay forever. You cannot assign a UCS to AutoCAD! When you assign a UCS to a drawing or template it should remain until another coordinate system is assigned.

2 hours ago, cat3appr said:

Are you sure you are using AutoCAD?

And once you had set zero to be north up, did you try to draw text? Which way up did that appear?

You really really need to format the angles.