Survey units, North up but using decimal degrees?

cat3appr

Hello,

Before posting here I did search around and I didn't find anything:  I need to be able to set the direction of the 0 degrees to the North, rather than to the right, but I don't want to set the surveyors units as I still want to be able to draw a line using @100 > 45'  

correct settings:  when i draw a line to the north, i want to see zero degrees, not 90

0 deg.png

and 90 degrees when i draw a line to the right,  i don't want to see zero 

90 deg.png

i know it is possible to set the surveyor units here, but i don't want this

decimal degrees.png

cause when I draw a line I still want to use decimal degrees,  for example I don't want to use this:

Next Point: @123.45 < N45D30'15"E
Next Point: @234.56 < S25D10'10"W

surveyors.png

Bottom line, I need to be able to do like this:   Line, start @100 >0   and I need to see a line that goes exactly to the North 

What's the secret?  

thanks in advance!

Edited by cat3appr

1. Thanks Trudy,  

I've changed as you suggested but I'm afraid it is not working:

Unit set:

Screenshot - 5_17_2021 , 10_26_55 AM.png

PL at point, i give zero at angle.. 

Screenshot - 5_17_2021 , 10_27_29 AM.png

and there... it goes to the right ( 90 deg ) rather than to the North, ( zero deg ) 

Screenshot - 5_17_2021 , 10_27_45 AM.png

Screenshot - 5_17_2021 , 10_26_55 AM.png

Edited by cat3appr

When you do change your zero degrees to North, and angles to clockwise, just be prepared to put the angle for text as 90 instead of the default of 0, otherwise it may write sideways.

Also some lisp routines do not take into account the change in zero angles.

Just now, eldon said:

When you do change your zero degrees to North, and angles to clockwise, just be prepared to put the angle for text as 90 instead of the default of 0, otherwise it may write sideways.

Also some lisp routines do not take into account the change in zero angles.

nah, still doesn't work.

If you are aware of a lisp, pls advice 👍

Your problem might have something to do with Dynamic Input, but my version of AutoCAD does not have that so I have no further thoughts. It certainly works with my command line coordinate display.

zero north.PNG

As a professional Land Surveyor you're going to a lot of trouble to create a drawing no surveyor or engineer would ever accept.

Why not just use Surveyors Units? 

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-FD3A36E1-FC7F-43CB-B7B5-1806FAAC12B2

If you use surveyor's angles when specifying polar coordinates, indicate whether the surveyor's angles are in the north, south, east, or west direction. For example, to enter the relative coordinates for a property line that is 72 feet, 8 inches long with a bearing of 45 degrees north, 20 minutes, 6 seconds east, enter @72'8"<n45d20'6"e.

Edited by tombu

Just now, tombu said:

As a professional Land Surveyor you're going to a lot of trouble to create a drawing no surveyor or engineer would ever accept.

Why not just use Surveyors Units? 

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-FD3A36E1-FC7F-43CB-B7B5-1806FAAC12B2

If you use surveyor's angles when specifying polar coordinates, indicate whether the surveyor's angles are in the north, south, east, or west direction. For example, to enter the relative coordinates for a property line that is 72 feet, 8 inches long with a bearing of 45 degrees north, 20 minutes, 6 seconds east, enter @72'8"<n45d20'6"e.

Thanks tombu. Like explained I don't want to use surveyor units because when I want to draw a line at a 100m at 35.5 degrees I want to be able to write L  @ 100 > 35.5   

and not N35d5E .... 

Don't worry about my troubles, I just need to find an answer to my specific question 😉

The macro
-UNITS;2;1;90;Y
will set Units to Decimal, degrees, angle from North, measured clockwise.

That should work for L  @ 100 > 35.5 though I couldn't test it on my Civil 3D settings.

Just now, tombu said:

The macro
-UNITS;2;1;90;Y
will set Units to Decimal, degrees, angle from North, measured clockwise.

That should work for L  @ 100 > 35.5 though I couldn't test it on my Civil 3D settings.

thanks tombu, but how do i apply it?

Screenshot - 5_17_2021 , 5_24_40 PM.png

This is an old problem and for people like me where we are Down Under so like Steven-g turn computer upside down. 😊

No its all programable you can enter ddd.mmss as a entry so easier than  120d23'33" etc and obviously a distance and North is up. I have something but its part of a package.

hint

(SETQ ANGBASEE (GETVAR "ANGBASE"))
(SETQ ANGDIRR (GETVAR "ANGDIR"))
(SETQ LUNITSS (GETVAR "LUNITS"))
(SETQ LUPRECC (GETVAR "LUPREC"))
(SETQ AUNITSS (GETVAR "AUNITS"))
(SETQ AUPRECC (GETVAR "AUPREC"))

(SETVAR "LUNITS" 2)
(SETVAR "ANGBASE" (/ pi 2.0))
(SETVAR "ANGDIR" 1)
(SETVAR "LUPREC" 6)
(SETVAR "AUNITS" 0)
(SETVAR "AUPREC" 3)

Change UCS like this with "UCS" "3"

2021-05-18_161435.png.9ea409a27553b5b4c235fefea2fcece1.png

Specify origin of UCS or [Face/NAmed/OBject/Previous/View/World/X/Y/Z/ZAxis] <World>: 3
Specify new origin point <0,0,0>:
Specify point on positive portion of X-axis <-12.108,-79.985,0.000>:
Specify point on positive-Y portion of the UCS XY plane <-14.108,-79.985,0.000>:

19 hours ago, rkmcswain said:

@cat3appr - that is a macro, where the semicolon is an <enter>

So if you are manually typing at the command line:

-units
y

thank you, but this one didn't work

13 hours ago, BIGAL said:

This is an old problem and for people like me where we are Down Under so like Steven-g turn computer upside down. 😊

No its all programable you can enter ddd.mmss as a entry so easier than  120d23'33" etc and obviously a distance and North is up. I have something but its part of a package.

hint

(SETQ ANGBASEE (GETVAR "ANGBASE"))
(SETQ ANGDIRR (GETVAR "ANGDIR"))
(SETQ LUNITSS (GETVAR "LUNITS"))
(SETQ LUPRECC (GETVAR "LUPREC"))
(SETQ AUNITSS (GETVAR "AUNITS"))
(SETQ AUPRECC (GETVAR "AUPREC"))

(SETVAR "LUNITS" 2)
(SETVAR "ANGBASE" (/ pi 2.0))
(SETVAR "ANGDIR" 1)
(SETVAR "LUPREC" 6)
(SETVAR "AUNITS" 0)
(SETVAR "AUPREC" 3)

no idea what this is 😄

Just now, guran said:

Change UCS like this with "UCS" "3"

2021-05-18_161435.png.9ea409a27553b5b4c235fefea2fcece1.png

Specify origin of UCS or [Face/NAmed/OBject/Previous/View/World/X/Y/Z/ZAxis] <World>: 3
Specify new origin point <0,0,0>:
Specify point on positive portion of X-axis <-12.108,-79.985,0.000>:
Specify point on positive-Y portion of the UCS XY plane <-14.108,-79.985,0.000>:

this one seems the right way but by following the instructions, it didn't work:

please can you tell me really step by step, what I shall do, without giving anything for granted. many thanks!

Screenshot - 5_18_2021 , 4_20_48 PM.png

Screenshot - 5_18_2021 , 4_23_28 PM.png

Screenshot - 5_18_2021 , 4_24_25 PM.png

Specify new origin point <0,0,0>: "click anywhere"
Specify point on positive portion of X-axis <-12.108,-79.985,0.000>: "click in the direction you want the x-axis to point"
Specify point on positive-Y portion of the UCS XY plane <-14.108,-79.985,0.000>: "click in the direction you want the y-axis to point"

You need to know, not sure if this will do what you want or not but worked for LINES on my computer. 

1st -i DO NOT have the internet on my computer.

2nd - i am using google on my cell phone for internet.

Now = here is what i did

Go to drawing units

Angular = decimal degrees

Angle direction = clockwise

Angle base = 270

at = is used as

the at sign

at 2 < 0 give me a North (up)

Hope this helps, if not let me know.

13 hours ago, guran said:

Specify new origin point <0,0,0>: "click anywhere"
Specify point on positive portion of X-axis <-12.108,-79.985,0.000>: "click in the direction you want the x-axis to point"
Specify point on positive-Y portion of the UCS XY plane <-14.108,-79.985,0.000>: "click in the direction you want the y-axis to point"

thank you I made it!! 👍🤝