When is to many, just to many

BIGAL

Had a quick look today how many lsp files do I have. Well found 4500, some are duplicates some are versions, explains why sometimes seem to remember doing something and can not find. They are not all mine just collected a few hundred along the way.

Was just wondering Lee, Alan JT, Pbe, Ronjonp, GRRR just to mention a few how many do you have ?

Edited by BIGAL
  • Confused 1
  • Funny 2

Wow, well that explains why do you know so much, I don't think I can even get to a hundred, so, I think I must keep on going and studying. Thanks for your support here.

11 hours ago, BIGAL said:

Had a quick look today how many lsp files do I have. Well found 4500, some are duplicates some are versions, explains why sometimes seem to remember doing something and can not find. They are not all mine just collected a few hundred along the way.

Was just wondering Lee, Alan JT, Pbe, Ronjonp, GRRR just to mention a few how many do you have ?

Of the stuff I've gathered \ written over ~20 years, 370 files .. could probably get rid of half of them too.

• Like 1

If you want another... i made up a 'help' DCL that lists all the routines in all the files in a folder. At the end of each I put a small description now that this pop up will display as a reminder what they all do (as well as run or open the LISP file if I want it to) - realising that even without 20 years and 4500 routines, I will never remember them all. Only got about 200 (including duplicates and subtle differences) so I bow to a superior memory if you can even vaguely remember having something somewhere

37 minutes ago, Steven P said:

If you want another... i made up a 'help' DCL that lists all the routines in all the files in a folder. At the end of each I put a small description now that this pop up will display as a reminder what they all do (as well as run or open the LISP file if I want it to) - realising that even without 20 years and 4500 routines, I will never remember them all. Only got about 200 (including duplicates and subtle differences) so I bow to a superior memory if you can even vaguely remember having something somewhere

lspsurf.exelspsurf.lspBy the way I just found something like that installed in the Express tools from Autodesk It's a small software that allows you to see your routines and to have a quick look at them. I just hope it can be useful to you too. Althought it can be useful to have a look at your code Steven, I really like this forum, where one can always keep learning. Thanks to you all guys.

• Like 2

4,697 .lsp      40 or so over 100kb      700 or so for 1 customer  

The oldest that I wrote is from 1994 ( multiple moves for animations )

I clean them out every couple of years.  Mostly snippets of code for others.  -David

1228 lsp including many with multiple versions but vast majority are from others though half of them have been modified for my needs. Thanks to all of you who contributed! I used to keep them cleaned out but it was easy to search the old mnu files for the lisp used. How do I search my custom CUIX for lisp references? Got $50 for a few submitted to Hot Tip Harry in 1994 but deleted them years ago as AutoCAD improvements have eliminated the need for many of them over the years. 

My "_LISP" folder is catalogued with subfolders, where I had categorised different things related to AutoCAD development, so a bunch of .jpg .pdf .txt and mostly .lsp files.

I use it when I have to build something from scratch, within it I have 'Pontentially used lisps' which contains 915 files at the moment. - bunch of .lsps with (C:test) calls which I don't load at my ACAD startup.

My "AUTOLISP" folder is the .lsp-s loaded at startup, but it also contains subfolders with other extension file formats, like I keep folder with 450 font files within it.

So roughly 550 .lsp and .vlx files which I keep for loading, where I cleared many of them in my acad.pgp loading list.

To sum up I'm loading like 50 .lsp files at startup and maybe use 10-20 routines most oftenly.

The thing is that its overwhelming to remember the function names and which routine does exactly what,

so in my recent years I've tried to write the most generic useful routines for the work I do.

In the past I had the idea to use command calls reactor which counts any commands I invoke while working on a project,

so I could clear-up and consolidate lisps due the statistics I had. (back then I've actually created a topic here at CADTutor, where I turned it up into a game)

Sample statistics attached for a project I was working on for 3 days.

Now I'm recently doing something similar with JS for PhotoShop as a catalogued folder structure.. because of the work I have to do (and to automate for myself).

lisps.jpg

CommandReport.jpg

Edited by Grrr
  • Thanks 1

I am not suprised at the numbers, David Bethel is in the lead, waiting to see others. Like David 236 for one project, around 2 years of work. A lot are downloaded snippets for tasks. Really do need to clean up and get rid of duplicates and versions. 

I need to do an index like GRRR, the .Doc was just a small part of common used.

Tombu copy your menu.cuix rename to menu.zip, unzip, will now have xml files try from Windows CMD, FINDSTR C : *.xml need to be in correct directory, looking for say c:A....

I think I got same $50 from Hot tip Harry and only spent like half of it.

Lisp files march 2021.docx

Edited by BIGAL
  • Thanks 1

On a daily basis, guessing I use less than 20 routines ... most often used are for filtering.

Edited by ronjonp

While I only have ~100 or so LISPs, I quickly found myself with the same problem. I ended up autoloading most (all command functions) while only loading the critical library functions. Keeping it updated proved too cumbersome, plus co-workers would add files without setting up the autoloading. So I created a function that tracks the file sizes of each of the LISP files and if it detects a change, it will run a parser looking for command functions to set to autoload.

To keep people informed of what LISPs were available, I also made it build documentation so people can run a "Help" command. It gives each function, a description of what it does, and allows people to set their own personalized hotkeys. This lets me make very descriptive function names while giving everyone the option to come up with their own quick hotkey.

Example:

image.png.8fafcb51a786ad1f09cab0401321a02a.png