Lines with coordinates

vasilikit4

Hi, I am trying to create a polygon  in autocad by lines and using coordinates such as 501231.29 , 3930326.6.. I want to give the coordinates and see the polygon be created.. But the lines go wherever they want and i have this inclination which makes everything worse. What can i do?

Are you forbidden to use the POLYGON command? I would draw a circle, draw a line from the center to some point, then copy/rotate the line by whatever angle inscribes the figure. For a pentagon, for instance, 360/5 = 72 degrees.

Edit: forgot the all-important final step, draw a polyline to connect the points along the circle. Clean up by erasing the lines.

Edited by CyberAngel

5 hours ago, BIGAL said:

Sounds like osmode set it to 0 zero.

Need some sample points or an image, dwg etc.

I have this pdf from the cadastre in which i have drawn a polygon with specific coordinates shown in the pdf file, too. And i want to recreate this polygon with the same coordinates in autocad, but i dont know how to do it. Maybe this file helps you understand what i mean. Thanks in advance!

topo_g.pdf

Maybe I'm not getting why vasilikit4 wants to do it this way. Why not type polygon in pick how many sides you want, how big and be done with it. As for the lines @CyberAngel was talking about I would turn ortho off and place a polyline (pline) by selecting center first and then to endpoint at each of the number of sides or points vaslikit4 wants.

Edited by Berzerker

I cannot quite follow what are your difficulties, but you should start a polyline command and then type in the coordinates as x,y format. After the last coordinate type c for close and there you have your polygon.

polygon.PNG

On 11/12/2020 at 11:36 AM, vasilikit4 said:

Hi, I am trying to create a polygon  in autocad by lines and using coordinates such as 501231.29 , 3930326.6.. I want to give the coordinates and see the polygon be created.. But the lines go wherever they want and i have this inclination which makes everything worse. What can i do?

You're wanting those coordinates entered absolute but I'm guessing AutoCAD was expecting relative coordinates instead. First try turning off Dynamic Input which by default is set to relative coordinates and try again.

You could also change Dynamic Input to relative coordinates: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Switching-between-absolute-and-relative-coordinates-for-pointer-input.html

As I use both methods toggling Dynamic Input off/on for whatever I need works for me.

You can also use the # prefix to enter absolute coordinates or @ prefix for relative coordinates: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU/AutoCAD-LT/files/GUID-F64F8008-E1C0-49CC-A268-A6B8C6E9B566-htm.html#:~:text=Use relative coordinates when you,from the last point specified.

Using the DYNPICOORDS (System Variable) in my acaddoc.lsp it displays either @ or # at the end of the settings I have displayed in the Status Bar with Modemacro.

(setvar 'MODEMACRO
    (strcat
         "$(If,$(Eq,$(Getvar,dbmod),0),,* )" 	;The asterisk indicates the drawing has been modified.
;         "$(getvar,cprofile)" 				;Current Profile
;         ", $(getvar,wscurrent)"				;Current Workspace
         "$(getvar,textstyle) "
         "$(*, $(rtos, $(getvar,cannoscalevalue), 2, 2), $(getvar,textsize)) "
;         " $(getvar,textsize) "
;         "$(if,$(and,1,$(getvar,cmdactive)),$(getvar, cmdnames))"
         "$(if,$(and,1,$(getvar,pickstyle)),<Group on> ,<Group off> )"
;         "$(if,$(and,1,$(getvar,pickstyle)),Group )"
         "$(if,$(and,16384,$(getvar,osmode)),,$(if,$(and,1,$(getvar,osmode)),E))"
         "$(if,$(and,16384,$(getvar,osmode)),,$(if,$(and,2,$(getvar,osmode)),M))"
         "$(if,$(and,16384,$(getvar,osmode)),,$(if,$(and,4,$(getvar,osmode)),C))"
         "$(if,$(and,16384,$(getvar,osmode)),,$(if,$(and,8,$(getvar,osmode)),Nod))"
         "$(if,$(and,16384,$(getvar,osmode)),,$(if,$(and,16,$(getvar,osmode)),Q))"
         "$(if,$(and,16384,$(getvar,osmode)),,$(if,$(and,32,$(getvar,osmode)),Int))"
         "$(if,$(and,16384,$(getvar,osmode)),,$(if,$(and,4096,$(getvar,osmode)),Ex))"
         "$(if,$(and,16384,$(getvar,osmode)),,$(if,$(and,64,$(getvar,osmode)),Ins))"
         "$(if,$(and,16384,$(getvar,osmode)),,$(if,$(and,128,$(getvar,osmode)),Per))"
         "$(if,$(and,16384,$(getvar,osmode)),,$(if,$(and,256,$(getvar,osmode)),T))"
         "$(if,$(and,16384,$(getvar,osmode)),,$(if,$(and,512,$(getvar,osmode)),Nea))"
         "$(if,$(and,16384,$(getvar,osmode)),,$(if,$(and,2048,$(getvar,osmode)),A))"
         "$(if,$(and,16384,$(getvar,osmode)),,$(if,$(and,8192,$(getvar,osmode)),Par))"
         "$(if, $(!=, $(getvar,viewtwist), 0), Viewtwist: $(angtos, $(getvar,viewtwist) [, 0, 2]) , )"	;Thanks alanjt
         "$(if, $(!=, $(strlen,$(getvar,refeditname)), 0), Xref = $(getvar,refeditname))"
         "$(If,$(Eq,$(Getvar,PStyleMode),0),STB,CTB )"
         "$(if,$(>, $(getvar,dynmode), 0),$(if,$(=,$(getvar,dynpicoords),0),@,#),#)"	;Dynamic coordinate entry.
         " $(getvar, cmdnames)"
    )
)

When a new drawing is opened, the screen centre coordinates are a long way from your coordinates. So, when you start drawing by entering coordinates, the line is being drawn off screen with the rubber-band line coming to the cursor on screen. Normally people are content to finish drawing and then Zoom Extents, when the lines will appear in the middle of the screen.

However you can set the screen to look at the right place before you start drawing. Use the Zoom command with the Center option, enter the coordinates 501250,3930300 (in this case), enter a height of 75. Now when you start drawing the coordinates on your PDF file, you will see the line on screen.

Hmmmm

I just copied the values from the pdf pasted into notepad

0 501231.43 3930327.00
1 501268.86 3930309.93
2 501266.75 3930287.97
3 501218.73 3930310.73

then a couple of changes and copied all lines

pline
C

pasted to command line 

image.png.aad367030da024ee6d7eaa04c3c9c6d3.png

On 11/12/2020 at 4:36 PM, vasilikit4 said:

Hi, I am trying to create a polygon  in autocad by lines and using coordinates such as 501231.29 , 3930326.6.. I want to give the coordinates and see the polygon be created.. But the lines go wherever they want and i have this inclination which makes everything worse. What can i do?

@BIGAL, when you read the OP's request and see what forum it is in, it can be disconcerting for a beginner to be entering coordinates and not seeing the lines appear on screen. If you are just drawing, then the default screen is alright. But when plotting UTM coordinates which are large numbers, it can be unnerving if the screen is showing the Equator, whilst you want to be looking at Crete to see your lines.

I drew it the same way as you did. I have a fear of transferring numbers from a picture to the screen without mistakes and transposing digits so, for me,  copying and pasting, with a bit of text editing is a more reliable way to go. BUT, you did not see the polygon until you did a zoom extents.

The OP has a plethora of ways to actually draw the lines, but to SEE them one has to re-direct where to look with Zoom centre.

It isn't a polygon, a polygon has a number of equal sides with equal angles and there is the polygon command that draws those based on a circle. What the OP wants is a polyline.

@ steven-g

Yeah I thought I didn't understand the question.....But vasilikit4 did type "polygon"

On 11/12/2020 at 10:36 AM, vasilikit4 said:

When vasilikit4 said  "using coordinates" and then specified them I thought 'Isn't it going to put them where you told it to put it"

My answer would be why didn't you use 0,0,0 to start it with (?)

This is from the New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary.

Being a student, perhaps the OP did not know that a polygon in AutoCAD is not the same as a polygon in general usage.

polygon.PNG

@eldon

Maybe I went to school it a different time but I learned differently than the way we are all talking about.

A pentagon has 5 sides, a hexagon has 6 sides, 7 sides a heptagon and 8 a octagon.....etc.

All these are polygons

polygon
[ˈpälēˌɡän]
NOUN
geometry
1. a plane figure with at least three straight sides and angles, and typically five or more.

Edit:
As for the above I disagree
Three sides are a "Triangle" and 4 sides are a "Square"/ rhombus " no "gon" at the end.
You can't have less than 3 sides for one and they start at 5 sides
I've never heard of a triangleagon or a squareagon/ rhombusagon
Of course none of this has to do with the AutoCad polygon command
Edited by Berzerker

A polygon has straight sides forming a complete circuit and there are regular and irregular polygons. The regular polygons can have names.

In the context here, the OP posting in the Student forum, talks about polygons, and you have to see past the language to get to the meaning.

The OP's coordinates did not start at 0,0 because they were trying to plot UTM type coordinates, which have zero on the equator. The polygon was on Crete.

@eldon

Ahhhhhh, Map stuff. My mind never went there. I thought it was about the command itself (in AutoCad).

My Bad!!

Now that makes more sense.

Edited by Berzerker