Nested xrefs - how to attach direct and remove 'parent'?

aji2015

As per the title - I have a number of drawings that have one 'master' xref that itself has about 10 other nested xrefs. I am wishing to attach those 10 nested xrefs directly and remove the 'master' so that the drawings only contains attached xrefs rather than nested ones.

Is there a method to easily so this? I have AutoCAD3D as well as Civil3D, can it be done in either of those?

Just to add that I am aware that I could remove the 'parent' xref and then go and create new attachments for the 10 xrefs that I need in the drawings, but when doing this over 40+ drawings it is going to be a royal pain.

So just to clarify the above question , I am looking for a quicker method if one exists?

Are you familiar with, and or, might the NESTEDCOPY command be helpful?

It is pretty great, check it out, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, if you are unaware of it.

Thanks for your reply Dadgad, I've just had a try with that command (seems to be NCOPY command?), and it appears to want to copy selected objects from xrefs to bring in to the drawing's modelspace (whilst retaining the object's xref layer name also).

I admit it is a command that I've not used before and it will surely come in useful in the future now that I am aware of it - so many thanks for that, however I am not sure it will solve my issue because I just need to elevate nested xrefs from a 'nested' position to become 'attached' directly.

If I used the NCOPY command I'd effectively be copying in all the nested xrefs in to the drawing's modelspace, whereas I wish to just 'elevate' nested xrefs in the xref manager to become 'direct' xrefs attached without a 'parent' xref.

Edited by aji2015

Hoping there may be a command somewhere down in the depths of AutoCAD (such as the NCOPY example above) that may be able to perform what I am after.

Or...is there possibly a way to do this via the stand alone "Reference Manager" app ?

Or even failing that, maybe some other standalone AutoCAD app that can be downloaded or even via an existing LISP download?

Edited by aji2015

Thanks SLW210 you are bang on with that solution !

I actually tried this as my first step at the beginning of the day, but didn't seem to work, but trying it again has worked a treat.  

I wasted a few hours looking for other solutions - should have stuck with my instincts ! ;)

Cheers buddy.