Tapered ellipse

Berzerker

Got the bright idea of just using Fusion to render my drawing seeings how I got it. How 'd it go....Not to good!

It seems fusion doesn't recognize .dwg drawings in my windows explorer meaning it's not there to open. Same as with slimlab composer nothing there to open. I've tried import/export, changing it to a DXF and all kinds of things.

Am I doing something wrong?

I don't use either program, but maybe this link will help for Fusion 360.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-import-DWG-files-into-Fusion-360.html

For Simlab, I guess f700es will have to weigh in. He was able to open your file, so maybe there's a trick to it?

I imported the .dwg and it says to double click it to open it but it doesn't open it in fusion itself it opens to a webpage.

I can't edit it or even try to see if I can render it on a webpage.

Sorry but I don't have Fusion installed anymore. I have used it before, but I never tried to import a dwg. I just built models directly inside the program.

According to this discussion, you can't import dwg files using the free version of Fusion. You need a license in order to import CAD files. https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/dwg-upload-but-no-open-command/td-p/9148815

You could try exporting your dwg to .sat or .iges format and see if either of those will import to Fusion. Or just wait for help with importing to Simlab.

OK Found an old program called AccuRender for AutoCad it does OK but everything is like flat colored, Can't make anything shiny. Then Im still messing with AutoCads render program and got this so far.

OH! and I found where to add a background color or image.

It also doesn't help when your clock/Sun is set to 12:00 AM at night.

render 1.JPG

Edited by Berzerker

9 hours ago, Berzerker said:

Got the bright idea of just using Fusion to render my drawing seeings how I got it. How 'd it go....Not to good!

It seems fusion doesn't recognize .dwg drawings in my windows explorer meaning it's not there to open. Same as with slimlab composer nothing there to open. I've tried import/export, changing it to a DXF and all kinds of things.

Am I doing something wrong?

So in Simlab, if you go under File and then Import and then select your DWG you get nothing? It really is that easy. 

Yeah f700es it seems I need to purchase it first to use that option. I have figured out somethings I'm doing wrong in the Cad render program and it's got better.

Got a real good peek under the hood of AutoCad now and know a lot more than I did about it.

My "perspective and sunstatus" tools quit working after shutting down and reopen AutoCad. I think it might have something to do with the two up arrow and C,C things for cancel before the command. It goes back to my last command sometimes when I click it.

Here's how I have it, might be wrong!

Perspective button.JPG

Edited by Berzerker

13 minutes ago, Berzerker said:

Yeah f700es it seems I need to purchase it first to use that option.

Just to be clear, when I said you need to purchase a license in order to import CAD files, I was talking about Fusion 360, not Simlab.

I went ahead and installed the Lite version, just to check it out. I imported your model and it pops right up.

Simlab.jpg

• Like 1

Let me go check again Cad64, as I said I might be doing something wrong but I followed the instructions given on the internet and I see no open button to open it with or when I go to my file folder in explorer they're not there.

Edit:

It imported!  don't how or why but it did. When I done this yesterday there was nothing there to import....I just have bad luck learning new things. Old dog, new tricks. You have to give me a minute but I'll eventually get it.

Slimlab render.JPG

Edited by Berzerker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Berzerker said:

It imported!  don't how or why but it did. When I done this yesterday there was nothing there to import....I just have bad luck learning new things. Old dog, new tricks. You have to give me a minute but I'll eventually get it.

Great! Looks better already. :thumbsup:

Simlab gives you some pretty nice natural lighting without any effort at all. And you will have access to some really good looking materials without having to create them yourself or jump through hoops to get them to look nice. I think this will be a much better option for rendering.

• Like 1

I agree! I'm just now reading up on lighting and adding and editing materials. Thanks f700es! for letting us know about it. When you look at the actual speaker some parts have different finishes, gloss and reflectiveness to my eyes so I'm wanting it to look as close as possible.

Time to dig in and learn something new.

Don't know why it imported as blue but I've fixed that now.

Edited by Berzerker
  • Like 1

How do you remove materials from objects in Slimlab? One of my materials turned to a round ball when I clicked on it can I put it back to the default trailer hitch looking thing?

Slimlab ball.JPG

Haven't understood lighting yet except for sun light, got to learn how to point them. Sometimes I click on a object and it pops up what material is assigned to it other times it's just the name of the object...Haven't figured that out either.

Anyways got this far in it:

Slimlab render 1.JPG

Is there a mirror material?

Did you know you can create effects in Slimlab also!

Fire, smoke, sparks and showers (?)

But it's in the paid version.

Edited by Berzerker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Berzerker said:

How do you remove materials from objects in Slimlab? One of my materials turned to a round ball when I clicked on it can I put it back to the default trailer hitch looking thing?

The program stopped working for me. It worked a couple times this morning but when I tried it again just now, it kept freezing on the welcome screen and then eventually crashes. I kept trying but it kept freezing so I uninstalled it. I really don't need another rendering program, so it's no big deal. Hopefully you're having better luck.

Mine was acting funny yesterday. I'm telling you no files were in my explorer folder to import, I swear. Now today it's faster does OK but what I see for tutorials aren't that good to go by.

They'll click on a button and say go here but when I click the button I get something totally different. It's probably a setup thing.

OH! Annnnnd... I got your commands for "perspective and sunstatus" to work each on their own buttons.

DO NOT! put a space after the double C's (Cancel I think) This will not work!

Thanks

Yeah, I don't know why Simlab isn't working for me? But like I said, I have several rendering programs already, so I don't really need another one. I just thought I'd play around with it, but oh well. No big deal.

That's great that you got the toolbar buttons working. I wasn't sure if you could run both commands off one button or if you would need one button for each command, but I guess you figured it out, so that's good.

48 minutes ago, Cad64 said:

Yeah, I don't know why Simlab isn't working for me?

I was just thinking, when I installed the program it placed three icons on my desktop. I typically like to keep my desktop uncluttered, so I move all non-essential programs to a "Programs" folder. I'm wondering if that caused a problem? One of the icons was a "WebGL Starter", so maybe I needed to update the file path? Just a guess. Maybe I'll try installing again one of these days.

That's weird. I simply installed Simlab with all of the default settings at home and at work, weird.

Berzerker, did you ever get your layers sorted on the speaker CAD file? This will make assigning materials on future projects a lot easier.

Yes, I assigned each object to a layer. I can already see where this is helpful just with the rendering itself. If I want to check out how something looks after render without all the other things in the way I just turn them off or freeze them and all I see is the object I'm interested in. 

See an old dog can learn new tricks.

Text fill questions

I want them off to see how it looks with just the outline of the text.

I set TEXTFILL to 0, FILL to 0, FILLMODE to 0 and I even turned shademode off but the text remains filled. I remember doing something way back when I started to get it filled but I can't remember what it was. Am I missing something else?