Tapered ellipse

Berzerker

I'm working on my layers now.  My way of thinking was like when I was in sawmill equipment, they would give us a layout drawing and we would get prints to make parts, frames, rollers and all the things we needed to build it all. We would lay it out on a floor, as the things were welded, fabricated, machined we put them together in that spot till the mill was all there.

That's how I got my idea of how to do it.

@f700es

There is a .DWG on page 5 of this thread, I believe.

Edited by Berzerker
  • Like 1

Believe or not I went searching for a 3D drawing of a 6X9" speaker on the internet and couldn't find one. So now there is a 3D drawing for a 6X9" speaker even if it's just close.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, f700es said:

Don't use AutoCAD to render. Yes I know it can do it BUT there are better and easier solutions. Give me your cad file and I'll show you ;)

I completely forgot about that program you use. I should have suggested it before jumping through all these hoops with Autocad. Looking forward to seeing your render. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I like it. My 20 year old son is in to speakers and such so I'll show him your work. He made a sub box for a friend of his that doesn't have a lot of money and we used the CNC machine at work to carve in the logos on the top. The kid almost cried when he saw it. 
Any way here's 5 minutes of work in Simlab Composer Lite (free) with materials and a 2 min 30 sec render.

Berzerker-speaker-SL.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Berzerker said:

You must read minds! I was just searching for a third party renderers.

Yeah they are great. I love AutoCAD and use it everyday but there are better rendering solutions out there. I've seen some GREAT render from AutoCAD as well but I just don't think all the extra effort if worth it imo.

Simlab Composer is a great tool. The free 'Lite' version is a great starting point and the 1st tier "pro" version is a great bargain at $199, last year around Christmas they had it on sale for $149. It also comes with integration tools for all the popular CAD programs...including AutoCAD ;)

https://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-products/Integration/simlab-composer-AutoCad-integration.aspx

https://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-products/simlab-composer-trial.aspx

13 minutes ago, f700es said:

here's 5 minutes of work in Simlab Composer Lite (free) with materials and a 2 min 30 sec render.

Looks great! I'm always impressed by the renders that come out of this free program.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Berzerker said:

It says it integrates into AutoCad (?) I can't find where to install it into AutoCad.

It's a stand-alone program. All you have to do is import your dwg file.

I see there is a plug-in available that integrates with Autocad, but it's only available for 2012 and up, so that won't work for you anyway.

OK I'm not getting it? I made my layers list up of the different things in the speaker, The Metal shell, the magnet and so forth. I've be able to move a couple of objects to their correct layers. But some I click on and it asks to select what I want on the drawing, I select it and It doesn't move. Everything is on the same layer. I turn layer 0 off and everything disappears. 

I just want this object on this layer.

For the purpose of moving objects to their correct layer, you might want to switch to 2DWireframe instead of Realistic, or whatever visual style you currently have set. That should make it easier to select objects.

Yeah it didn't work. Got my layers right finally. I can turn off, on, freeze and thaw, attach materials by layer...etc.

I'll look for an older render program.

Now I have learned how to my make my own commands and a Icon and place it in a toolbar.

No need to type "perspective and sunstatus" in anymore

Edited by Berzerker

Trying to figure out can I use a toggle button in Toolbar palette instead of the simple click and then it displays the changes at the bottom?

Edited by Berzerker

1 hour ago, Berzerker said:

Trying to figure out can I use a toggle button in Toolbar palette instead of the simple click and then it displays the changes at the bottom?

The code below will work as a toggle. You will just need to tie it to a button and then one click will set Perspective and Sun Status to 1 and a 2nd click will set them both to 0. It's working for me as a command call from the prompt but I'm not sure how to run it from a button. I guess you will have to figure that out on your end.

(defun c:STATUSTOGGLE (/)
(if (=(getvar "perspective")1)(command "_perspective" "0")(command "_perspective" "1"))
(if (=(getvar "sunstatus")1)(command "_sunstatus" "0")(command "_sunstatus" "1"))
(princ)
)