Extend line is approximate only

If I want to extend a line and the end node is near some other lines, the extension is only approximate.

If there is nothing in the vicinity, then there is no issue.

Is there a setting to control.

What version of AutoCAD?

Version 2013.

Are you picking boundary edges?

I'm not sure what this means.

Would the lengthen command be more appropriate?

I didn't know about this, I'll give it a try.

But it doesn't work if you draw a line from scratch.

36 minutes ago, sketch11 said:

I'm not sure what this means.

You need to. Look up the trim/extend commands.

37 minutes ago, sketch11 said:

I didn't know about this, I'll give it a try.

Lengthen is great for adjusting an existing line.

37 minutes ago, sketch11 said:

But it doesn't work if you draw a line from scratch.

Drawing a line from scratch gives you the option to make it the desired length before you end it. There are multiple ways to accomplish this depending on your workflow.

39 minutes ago, sketch11 said:

I'm assuming there was no setting to prevent the actual extension required.

Have no idea what you mean by this.

This is the query in the original post.

When you extend a line, and the end point is near other lines, then you don't get the exact extension you input. It seems to attach onto something but it's not always a node point or the intersection.

I was wondering if there was a setting in AutoCAD that you could account for this. ON/OFF, Value 0,1, etc.

Yeah, I saw that. It doesn't make any sense to me and the image didn't help at all.

It might help if you describe what you are doing step by step and using appropriate AutoCAD terminology.

Please tell us what command you're using, what options you're using, whether you have snap enabled, and how you arrived at the conclusion that the line's length is wrong.

If you specify a point near an object, and you have a relevant snap option turned on, the point you get will be the location you snapped to, not the location of the cursor. That might explain why you aren't getting the result you expect, especially since it's only happening near objects. You can see this process at work; AutoCAD will display a symbol at the snap point (which symbol depends on the type of snap).

You can test this hypothesis by turning off the object snap tool. There are several ways to do so: type OSNAP and clear the "Object Snap On" checkbox; press the F3 key; click on the Osnap toggle button on the status bar (if your status bar is visible). I can't find that command on the ribbon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sketch11 said:

.....When you extend a line, and the end point is near other lines, then you don't get the exact extension you input......

I was wondering if there was a setting in AutoCAD that you could account for this. ON/OFF, Value 0,1, etc.

When you extend a line by using the EXTEND command, there is no provision for inputting any dimension. EXTEND extends an object to meet another object.

There is no setting in AutoCAD that accounts for this.

However if you use the appropriate command to make a line a definite length, i.e. the LENGTHEN command, then you will have no trouble.

Your thread title is plain wrong and might get you into trouble.

• Like 1

There is a snap option for "apparent Intersection".  If you leave this on in conunction with "intersection" it isn't easy to discern between the two when you are snapping.

Personally, I always disable apparent intersection because of this.  But this might be part of it?

My recommendation is to make use of orthomode , disabling it for situations where it isn't necessary.

This will keep your linework straight.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.

There is quite a lot to it.

It must be the snap settings that I have turned on then, I have Intersection on but not Apparent Intersection.

Also I have been using the wrong terminology, It's actually the Stretch function that I have been using. This was by picking the node using the mouse to stretch with Polar tracking on.

Sorry about the confusion.

Might want to check this in your Options...

image.thumb.png.7b4e2d06072ee391c0e9c24eae66750c.png

If you are using Dynamic Input, there are lots of available settings here to make it better comply with your aspirations.

image.thumb.png.102075449062f6cb9acd020a4bfb8efa.png

• Like 1