3D Dimensions - Do they have a name?

lamensterms

Hey,

Not really an AutoCAD question... more a drafting question.

I'm in the process of adding 3D 'check' dimensions for a project... just wondering if these types of dimensions have a proper name?  I would like to name them to help avoid confusion, and to highlight the fact they are 3D.  I could just call them '3D dimensions', but I would prefer to use a proper name if there is a standing convention.

image.png.4a657627d2431824804e1e6e4b6122b4.png

Thanks for any help.

Aligned??? Spatial, Distance, I don't know of a generic term, unless it turns out to be one of those words that you know but just can't think of. Would there be a different name if it was measuring between objects rather than internal. Interesting idea.

Dimensions are dimensions whether they are 2D, 3D or 4D.  Now if you are asking if there is a specific term used to define the dimension is the arrow is pointing at then I'd say "diagonal" wouldn't you?  Why do you have to "name" the dimensions?  What is the point?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. 

@steven-g - I think 'spatial' is a good term to describe them, thank you for the suggestion.

@ReMark - I'd like to name the dimensions so it's clear exactly what points the dimension is measuring between.  These dimensions will be measured in 3D, but displayed in 2D.  I don't think 'diagonal' is definitive because (as steven-g pointed out), that doesn't necessarily mean the dimension is 3D.

@SLW210 - Thanks for the tip, but I only used a cube to demonstrate what type of 3D dimension I was referring to... the geometry I'm dimensioning is not actually a cube.

Edited by lamensterms

Rather than give it a name I suggest one of the following:

1. Use the pictorial view you have posted but create a UCS using points A, B, and C then add an aligned dimension that should yield your 877 value.

image.png.9540a6f93c7c5af3d93ea3ffe6ba1656.png

2.  Create an auxiliary view that shows the dimension in true length. Here's an example of how to do that manually.  You can also use the projected view from base view feature of AutoCAD.

In a math course, the example posted by lrm would be called Distance AC, that's how I would label it in a drawing as well.

If you want to know if there is a unique name for a particular distance on a particular shape, there are plenty of examples in a Geometry book, problem being, as steven-g mentioned, in your example Diagonal could also refer to the distance of opposite corners of a 2D rectangle.

Thanks for the replies and input.

I ended up describing the dimensions as '3D Check Dim Point-to-Point'.  Each time I discussed these dims with the fabricator.. I literally pointed to a spot on the floor, and then another spot in a far corner of the roof - to demonstrate that they were not 2D dims.  I also had to provide 2 views of the dimensioned elements - one in 2D to easily read the dimension values, and another in 3D to show exactly what points I was dimensioning to.

Bottom line... I wasn't confident I could convey my message adequately on paper, so I had to us words 😑😑

image.thumb.png.c773a43e5091dc3f9bbbc1a3f7de6393.png

image.thumb.png.b106458d081d28a341decdaf8de84a8c.png

I started incorporating 3D drawings (all 4 isometric views) some 15 years ago in all fabrication drawings sent to our weld shop.  They were very much appreciated.  On the rare occasion that I didn't (a simple design) I usually got a call from the shop foreman asking, "What happened to the 3D views?"  3D views also helped explain the nature of the design to upper management.

• Like 1

Back when I was still using SOLPROF to generate my drawings from our 3D Models I would typically choose one view to include

displayed in an isometric or more likely customized isometric view to optimally display the part in Conceptual, or if it warranted it in X-Ray

visual style.  Now that we are using ProSteel add-on I rarely get to do that anymore, but it definitely helps fabricators get a quick handle.

ReMark, you must have been even more appreciative than I of the brilliant addition of ViewBase functionality in 2012.  :beer:

image.thumb.png.bb8ffac3d49f3b226b5c5a8253cc974e.png

Edited by Dadgad
Typo correction