Help with 3D modelling (revolve)

I can't revolve my 2D object due to it being self intersecting. I think it has something to do with fillets as I can revolve it without fillets. I've tried overkill as well. Any help would be really, really appreciated.

15949532574728252568702641785262.jpg

@f700es that looks way more complicated than my method for it but very cool! Do you mind telling me what function you're using to combine both the 2D objects into the 3D model? So basically you mirrored the base and then what?

That's straight 100% AutoCAD 2020 and nothing else. Yes I drew the profile in 2D 1st as that was the best way for me to figure it out. Once I finished the profile I mirrored it over to add dimensions to make sure that I got it correct. I then copied the center-line and right profile up a bit so I could revolve it. I made sure that the profile was a closed polyline before using the revolve command. I change the view to a SE view so I can everything.
rev-1.thumb.jpg.6a44988e1f7dfcb6caf68bb27bf49bbf.jpg

So I use the Revolve command, I just type in commands btw.
I use the copied center-line as my axis and tell it 360 degrees. Once finished I got to front view and draw the circles and then do a polar array to copy them around. I then go back to a SE view. Then I explode the array so I can extrude the circles past the part.
rev-2.thumb.jpg.629c32a85448b1120174dd434152498b.jpg

Then I use the subtract command to subtract the 3 rods from the part. After this I go back to top view and then changed the part color to a blue and slightly did  a 3D view rotate to show the part in 3D. I then set a slight transparent visual style.
BAZINGA!
rev-3.thumb.jpg.cf4f777b200dcf97a2bdb5dff6166f88.jpg

• Like 2

@f700es I don't even know what to say. I spent hours just trying to revolve the base and then struggled a ton with the extruding haha. You make it so easy. Thank you so much for that detailed explanation! You taught me more in this post than my lecturer did the entire semester haha. 

• Like 1

LOL, you are very welcome. I find a lot of times instructors unnecessarily use lots of jargon in attempting to teach CAD. Just make it simple so the students can learn it and then let them explore what they can do with the knowledge. I am sure that I skipped some steps and I am sorry for that. I am trying to get some work-place social-distancing diagrams finished for the University (where I work and no, I don't teach) to distribute before we open back up.
Please stay on with us here at CADTutor. We have LOTS of talented people and we ALL learn off of each other almost everyday!

Sean

@f700es no you didn't skip any haha. I am exceptionally terrible at AutoCAD and I understood that so that was great. 

I'm totally staying on here because I struggle A LOT with this and the people here are so helpful! 

If you don't mind though, could I get your input on another diagram? There's another one that I'm working on and I'm kinda stuck. 

On 7/18/2020 at 12:01 AM, 1001955166 said:

@f700es no you didn't skip any haha. I am exceptionally terrible at AutoCAD and I understood that so that was great. 

I'm totally staying on here because I struggle A LOT with this and the people here are so helpful! 

If you don't mind though, could I get your input on another diagram? There's another one that I'm working on and I'm kinda stuck. 

Do yourself a favor and check out this tutorial, as I am sure it will be quite helpful.

Press/Pull is great functionality, quite intuitive and time saving.

https://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/extrude-and-press-pull/

Go to the Tutorials tab on the forum, and watch all of the ones in 3D Basics and you wil be at the head of your class in no time, without the need of your instructor.

Take the initiative and you will be way ahead of your course, and very comfortable.  :beer:

• Like 2

Press/Pull is much more user friendly, receptive to Non-closed polylines, and cuts out a few of the old school somewhat commandline intensive modeling commands, saving lots of time and giving a jump up the learning curve.  Enjoy the ride.  :beer: