Read-only file.

svorgodne

3 minutes ago, ammobake said:

Part of this is software selection too.  I worked for an R&D company a while back that designed portable shelters for the government.

We had to have 1 master 3d model but we couldn't make it work in Autocad because we had 3 people on the design team and everyone had stuff they needed to work on.

So what we did was move to solidworks so that one person could work on the assembly, one person could be updating part files, one guy could be updating the drawing set.

Which works absolutey fine just gotta make sure everyone is saving and updating their data in the right order.

If you are stuck with using Autocad just use Autodesk 360 and link everything up to the cloud.  I have never needed to use it but I've heard it works great.

-ChriS

Honestly AutoCAD was NOT the correct solution for this project. Fusion 360 would have been the correct answer.

That would have been around late 2006 or so which might have been before fusion360 (not sure).

They had other reasons for using solidworks, specifically, I guess.  They used a special add-on that would perform simulated load testing called cosmos/kosmos or something.

We would then build a prototype in a warehouse here in Alaska and do all our real world load testing in-house.

We had to have special hardware since we used carbon composites and stuff.  So we did all our own carbon fiber layup designs, carbon fiber curing, etc... all in our own facility.

-ChriS