Please help with Structural Drafting Plate 1

Rave

Also should I just connect the pillar rebar and footing rebar together instead of showing it like they are not connected? 

How do I draw the southern Roofline on plate 2?

Here is my updated J bolt on the drawing. I drew it with a radius of 3/4", 4" horizontal line, and 3.5" projecting out from top of concrete slab. Hope I got it right. 

2020-07-02 (3).png

Are the baseplates also located on top of the I beams? Can I just draw a line connecting the tops of the I beams to show it as a roof? Also is there metal siding on the top of second floor channel? 

I would draw the rebar at the bottom of the footing "U" shaped then extend the rebar in the pier down into the footing and add a hook pointing outward.  Make this rebar overlap the "U" rebar by 2".  Didn't P-F give you an example to refer to as part of the structural project?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rave said:

Are the baseplates also located on top of the I beams? Can I just draw a line connecting the tops of the I beams to show it as a roof? Also is there metal siding on the top of second floor channel? 

BASEplates.  That refers to a plate located at the base (i.e. - bottom) of a column.

There are beams at the top of the columns as well as metal decking.  Then a poured concrete roof.

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1

Rave for your info, the J bolt is probably bent cold so the radius is probably to tight its been a while since I did rebar, but there will be a rule about rad * x I would use say 4 * bar dia.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ReMark said:

There are beams at the top of the columns as well as metal decking.  Then a poured concrete roof.

@ReMark So, I need to draw the metal siding on top of the columns and then on top of it a poured concrete slab and then a line drawn above the slab to show the roof. Please correct me if i am wrong. 

1 hour ago, BIGAL said:

Rave for your info, the J bolt is probably bent cold so the radius is probably to tight its been a while since I did rebar, but there will be a rule about rad * x I would use say 4 * bar dia.

That is good to know. I tried to draw the radius based on the 1 1/2 diameter the pdf states. I hadnt thought that info was for the J hook initially so I just made it 90 degrees, but i corrected it now. 

Edited by Rave

So after reading the pdf multiple times in the part for Plate 2, it specifies what we need to show. One thing I am getting confused about is the southern roofline, so  how am i supposed to represent it? Is it just a hidden line that goes across to connect the top of the columns?. In the Plate 2 description nowhere its written about how the roofline

Here is what I get confused about:

Several components of the building were described in this section of your project booklet. You’ll use some of the information when drafting details later on. For your drawing of the building’s south elevation, however, label only the items listed here, complete with their various size descriptions (such as “26 gage” or the item’s dimensions and so forth).

1. Door header

2. 6′ × 8′ sliding door, (The word sliding can be abbreviated SLD.)

3. Siding

4. Elevations of finish grade, first floor, and second floor. (The word elevation can be abbreviated ELEV.)

• In your drawing, remember to show the concrete footings, the steel columns, and the southern roofline as hidden lines.

Here is my thinking of how a roofline is supposed to be represented according to penn foster in Plate 2, the line on top connecting the top of columns is marked as the southern roofline. 

Also  (I am assuming I finished my Plate 2. Any comments on the screenshot? 😞

2020-07-04.png

Unfortunately Plate 2 is not finished nor is it correctly drawn.  Some of the things that need to be addressed are:

The opening for the overhead door does not show the columns the beam rests on.  The sliding door would not be shown.

The roof is incomplete.  You have not shown the caps on the columns at both ends nor the thickness of the roof.  The roof thickness would be drawn using the hidden line type.

It appears as though you have added an actual "J" hook in the footing.  That is incorrect.  Unfortunately it is difficult to see clearly.

You have not shown portions of the metal siding.

Your dimensions appear to be quite small but once again it is difficult to determine because of the size of the image.

1 hour ago, ReMark said:

The opening for the overhead door does not show the columns the beam rests on.  The sliding door would not be shown.

So if I show the beams the overhead rests on, the sliding door that I have already drawn would look correct? I am just clarifying since I saw most sliding doors represented like this in other students drawing here. 

1 hour ago, ReMark said:

It appears as though you have added an actual "J" hook in the footing.  That is incorrect.  Unfortunately it is difficult to see clearly.

Ok, I am removing the J hooks from the footer. 

1 hour ago, ReMark said:

You have not shown portions of the metal siding

I don't understand that, can you please help me understand or point to a drawing from here that I can refer to for drawing it on plate 2? 

1 hour ago, ReMark said:

Your dimensions appear to be quite small but once again it i difficult to determine because of the size of the image.

I am trying to scale the text, and the multileader line also scales way bigger, so I can't just choose the text and do it,or I don't know if there is an option where I can just choose to scale the text maybe. 

1 hour ago, ReMark said:

You have not shown the caps on the columns 

I will have to recheck that information on the off, I didn't see the cap information on the plate two side, but I will check again. 

The missing COLUMNS define the opening where the sliding door is located.  I was wrong.  The student is instructed to show the sliding door (page 13).  P-F does not specify the steel size for the columns however so I would use the same size as the beam (W10x45).

Re: sliding door.  P-F instructs the student to locate a 6'x8' sliding door is an opening that is 8'x12" yet does not provide a means for securing the door on either side to the beams or another other structural steel in the vertical.  I guess they think it will stay where it is by magic.

Please provide an image showing a close up of the footing and pier.

The metal siding on the building is the same as that which is used for the 2nd floor and roof of the building only it is vertical.  The student is specifically told not to show the entirety of the metal siding in the instructions as it would obscure the structural framework of the building.  Small sections however can be shown (page 12).

The information for the cap is contained within the instructions (page 15).  However, it appears that P-F says this level of detail is to be included in Plate 3 not Plate 2.  My mistake.

Edited by ReMark

I made some changes. I am still confused about drawing the southern roofing. I put steel decking on 2nd and third  columns. But i just a drew a lijne connecting everything at top to represent the southern roofing. I am not sure if i need to draw the roof drain/poured in concrete that slopes on plate 2. I hope my enlarged text font helps. 

image.png

The W10x45 beam should be extended to the nearest column on each side.

There is no "J" bolt in the footing.

The vertical rebar in the pier should end with the bars pointing in the opposite direction and 2" off the "U" shaped rebar in the footing.

The metal siding on the building runs vertically not horizontally and should be shown in elevation view in a few (three or four) locations) of the building.  Draw freeform closed polyline areas and hatch them according to the instructions.

Your hatching is too dense.  Increase the scale factor.

35 minutes ago, ReMark said:

The metal siding on the building runs vertically not horizontall

I am not familiar with how a horizontal or vertical siding looks like. The reference material book just shows a ribbed structure nothing mentioned about horizontal or vertical. So I just drew it "vertical" on the building sides and "horizontal" on the rest of the places. 

Page 12 of the project instructions provides the dimensions for the siding.  Refer to the 26 ga metal siding description below.

Page 13 of the project instructions tells the student how to depict the siding on Plate 2.  Refer to the metal siding description below.

Most students have shown the siding installed in a vertical orientation.  However, I have seen two student submissions with the metal siding installed in the horizontal.

Metal siding.PNG

26 ga metal siding.PNG

This is how one student showed the roof line (color: red).  Note: the roofline is actually the flashing on the edge of the entire perimeter of the building.  The roof, which sits below the flashing, is depicted in color yellow.  I believe the student determined the layer colors himself rather than follow the project instructions.  I would not recommend doing that.  The ability to follow instructions is important in any task or job.  BTW...the footings, columns and roofline are supposed to be shown using a hidden linetype as per the instructions.

Two more things.  1. The rebar in the footing is #6 bar at 8" in BOTH directions.  You have only shown the rebar in ONE direction.  w. You need to show the thickness of the flanges on the beam above the sliding door.  The columns can be drawn with the flange edges exposed or the face of the flange.  It's your choice.  neither are incorrect.

Roofline.PNG

Edited by ReMark

Your footing/pier detail should look more like this.  The hooks at the end of the rebar that extends into the pier lock the footing and pier together.

Footing-rebar detail.PNG

Like Remark the J hook will possibly extend further down into the concrete footing looks to close to top. Overturning moment from column will pull hook out.