The whereabouts of the Fonts

chubarka

It would be appreciated if someone here could tell me how to display the fonts.  I am using version 2007, and when I select

Draw, Text, Single line Text,  the font window is nowhere to be found.  Also, will Autocad draw from the Font library of Windows

or does it have it's own library?   Am I going to have to install the font I want to  the Autocad  library?

Chubarka 

Autocad uses the windows TTF fonts as well as its own SHX fonts, so you can add both, it is recommended though add True Type fonts more easily matched.

Autocad uses the STYLE command to set the font used but there is not a viewer, pretty easy though to do abcde………… and change font used.

chubarka:  What type of font is being loaded?  Does it have a file extension of .SHX or .TTF?  If it is an .SHX file then it first must be copied to the folder where AutoCAD fonts are stored.  If it is a .TTF file it must first be installed in a manner specific to the version of Windows you are using.  What version of Windows are you using?

You can either drag and drop the TTF file into your Windows Fonts folder, which you can find here: C:\Windows\Fonts, or you can right click on the TTF file and choose "Install" from the pop up menu.

In Autocad, when you choose Draw > Text > Single Line Text, you won't get a font window. That command is for creating text in your drawing using whatever text style is current.

If you want to create a new text style, type STYLE at the command line. This will open the Text Style window where you can create a new text style using the Amelia TTF that you installed to the Windows Fonts folder. After you create the new text style and set it as current, you can then choose Draw > Text > Single Line Text and create the text in your drawing.

Unfortunately not all downloadable TrueType fonts are compatible with AutoCAD.  All those installed with Windows or Office should work, but many of the ones you find online don't support all the sizes or formatting options like italic, bold, underline, overline, overstrike. They need to be able to be used inside the same mtext with other fonts. 

How many fonts do people really need for CAD?

I understand some design instances, I do logos and things to be made on a water jet, laser engraver, etc. but pretty much everything already on a Windows computer and AutoCAD would suffice for all of that.

Not seeing anything exceptional with the Amelia.TTF.

• Like 1