Storing key/value-pairs in a drawing

eengebruiker

Hello,

I just read about Dictionaries and Xrecords. I think I understand how to work with them but I am missing something. I would like to work easily with key/value-pairs and it looks like that is not possible, unless I am overlooking something. let me explain.

When digging into Xrecords I can find values by using assoc. If I store my values using the proper DXF-codes for strings, layernames (also strings), integers, reals etc. I can easily find the values. But what if I want to store 2, 3, 4 or more strings. Each with a meaning to my application. It looks like I can only find them by using the order in which they are stored. I can not look them up using there names, e.g. "txtA", "txtB", "txtC", etc.

The only solution I can think of is to use a Xrecord per key/value pair, but it feels like it is not supposed to be used that way. Or . . .  am I wrong. Is this the way to do it?

In fact, what I would like to do in an easy way, is storing data in the form of key/value pairs in a drawing.
Something like (example):

("Name" . "Sample")

("Width" .  376.4)

("Height" . 123.1)

("Order" . 3)

Etc.

My code knows what type a value has, so I don't need a type value.

In fact I am using this sometimes in my own code when passing data from and to (sub)routines. I group parameters this way in one sigle entity (basically a list with key-value pairs). It works but I want to be able to simply store them in the drawing. It looks like I can only do that in more complicated ways, but not as simple as I explained.

I hope someone feels the same needs and exchange some lines about this or (better) has a good solution for me.

Regards,

André

@BIGAL. Sure this could work, but all of my values will be strings then.

But . . . . wouldn't you be happy with good support for my simple idea? Couldn't you think of applications if the possibilities where there?

Regards,

André

You could simply use Custom Drawing Properties.

The can be added with the PROPULATE (Express Tool) https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-BD03320F-3430-4C2F-80A3-AAC1167AF019-htm.html

Many of us add and modify them with lisp.

User access already familiar to most users and they're easily referenced even with fields.