Lines are not intersecting, can't trim or extend

Hi all,

I'm new to AutoCAD and mainly have been working on the computers at my school. I am currently working on a project at home where I'm tracing an existing floorplan image I've super imposed to the program. I haven't had any of these issues either on my laptop or school computer until I started working a new document on the second floor. For some reasons, it seems not of my lines are intersecting. So I can't trim lines, and some lines won't extend. I've tried changing my Z plane to 0, Joining lines, and I still can't get the lines to intersect.  I've attached a DWG. HALP!

2nd Floor Plan Trace.dwg

Why is your drawing so huge? I measured the length of one of your walls and it measures 4107378599379.0. Your units are set to millimeter, so that's an extremely long wall.

After I scaled your drawing down to normal human size I was able to trim the lines. Autocad is not liking the enormous size of your floorplan.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cad64 said:

Why is your drawing so huge? I measured the length of one of your walls and it measures 4107378599379.0. Your units are set to millimeter, so that's an extremely long wall.

After I scaled your drawing down to normal human size I was able to trim the lines. Autocad is not liking the enormous size of your floorplan.

I don't know where I'm going wrong. In class we got our images to scale by measuring a door in the image (3') , then offseting the line 3' in auto cad, then scaling the drawing to that line. I keep trying to do that with this new image, but each time i try to offset, nothing happens. no new line appears for me to scale the image to

15 minutes ago, killa_k said:

I don't know where I'm going wrong. In class we got our images to scale by measuring a door in the image (3') , then offseting the line 3' in auto cad, then scaling the drawing to that line. I keep trying to do that with this new image, but each time i try to offset, nothing happens. no new line appears for me to scale the image to

If you're supposed to be working in feet and inches, why are your drawing units set to decimal and insertion scale set to millimeters? You need to get your drawing units set up correctly before you do anything else. 

27 minutes ago, Cad64 said:

If you're supposed to be working in feet and inches, why are your drawing units set to decimal and insertion scale set to millimeters? You need to get your drawing units set up correctly before you do anything else. 

Ok, I believe when I initially started this new page I did not change units. But I just started a new one and changed units before I did anything else. Super imposed image, and I believe I successfully was able to scale the image. I only confirmed this by offsetting a line by 3' in the doorway. Are you able to confirm I was successful? Please see attached. Thanks!

Drawing2.dwg

Well, I don't have your image, so I can't see it, but your units are set up correctly now and the two lines are 3' offset from each other. So, I think you're probably good now.

Excellent, thank you so much! It appears my trim and extend commands are working. Looks like I just forgot some steps...amateur hour over here 😛