Alternative CAD

Coosbaylumber

You know I sure liked the simplicity of Autocad R-14. It created lines, arcs and text, which are what I basically do. Takes longer to think of where to go next, so have no need for the automatic features as on modern Autocad versions. Nor, do I do any 3-D work anymore. For better part it is all 2-D work, and labeled. Most of my work can be seen and described in common old flat 2-D work and pictures.

But, now really appreciate the large sized pull-downs, the boxes on the tablet, for without looking too close, I can swing the cursor over and hit the proper command, and then keep going (or stop and think about where to go next).

Is there a modern equavalent to the older R-14 now? LT works OK, but has too many options, too small of pull-downs etc. for older eyes to quickly see, and basically I use the same 12 basic items over and over again each day in making up drawings. Only variation comes just before plotting. I cannot justify spending the $$$ for a modern version, if all I want is same-ol, same-old.

Wm.

Mark...

I yam staying with the earlier versions, for they are compatible with my plotter. The later versions do not seem to be readily accepatable to it.

David...

My problem with Intellicad is that they too have converted over to More Is Better. In order to add in a few more features (to which I don't need) they make teh buttons or pull downs a bit smaller. Main complaint. I use 3-D maybe once per year, and then only for one day. Have to look up in my notes as how to import a drawing or create one. I do not need the extra 3-D options as are being emphasized today.

Just wanna draw lines then sit back and think about what I just did. Izzat right or not? Humm, lets try......

Wm.

• 3 weeks later...