What are the major differences between High-End and Mid-Range CAD / CAE programs ?

john2009

Hi everyone,

I would like to get some feedback on the major differences between the so called high-end CAD / CAE programs like Unigraphics-NX & Catia, and the mid-range programs like Inventor, Solidworks, and Solid Edge.

What I would mainly like to know is, in general, what can the high-end programs do that the mid-range programs cannot ?

Also, where does Pro-Engineer fall in these categories, is it considered a high-end program or is it somewhere in-between a mid-range and high-end program ?

I downloaded a brochure on Pro Engineer and it gave an overview of the Foundation, Advanced, and Enterprise versions, (XE and SE), but it did not say how Pro-Engineer Wildfire compares. Is Pro-Engineer Wildfire the best Pro-E version for mechanical design and how does it compare to the other Pro-E versions mentioned above ?

I would appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Thanks

John