Find/replace text in blocks

LeeNichols

I have a block with about 60 single-line text entities, 40 of which have a place holder character that needs to change based on how the block is used. For example, "~1a" and "~1b" need to change to "P1a" and "P1b", where "~" is the place holder and "P" is the letter for this 1 block. The next instance of the same block will need a different letter. This is not a good application for attributes. I found Lee Mac's LISP c:ReplaceBlockText in this thread using vlax-for, but it appears to work on the block definition and changes the text for every instance of the block in the drawing. I need this to work on 1 selected instance of the block. Any help is appreciated, even if it's a point in the right direction.

19 hours ago, LeeNichols said:

I have a block with about 60 single-line text entities, 40 of which have a place holder character that needs to change based on how the block is used. For example, "~1a" and "~1b" need to change to "P1a" and "P1b", where "~" is the place holder and "P" is the letter for this 1 block. The next instance of the same block will need a different letter. This is not a good application for attributes. I found Lee Mac's LISP c:ReplaceBlockText in this thread using vlax-for, but it appears to work on the block definition and changes the text for every instance of the block in the drawing. I need this to work on 1 selected instance of the block. Any help is appreciated, even if it's a point in the right direction.

If the single-line text is part of the block, then changing the text content will change it for all references of the block - this is how blocks work.

If you require a different value for each block, you should use block attributes as the only other alternative is to create a new block definition for each possible value, which defeats the point of using a block at all.

Why do you state :

This is not a good application for attributes

Lee Mac, thanks for the reply. After further research, I came to that understanding yesterday. I was hoping to tweak the text in the block using LISP based on a 1-character answer from the user. I didn't want the user to have to modify almost 40 attributes. However, it's easy enough to do with AutoCAD's Find/Replace function. Thanks again