Can a pipe run adopt the system type?

Siberian

When drawing a pipe run from nothing I need to select a system type. That's fair, but when connecting to an existing pipe it would be nice if the system type would be adopted automatically so that a cold water pipe doesn't suddenly turn into a hot water pipe at a point simply because I forgot to change the system type. It's not a huge issue, but still somewhat annoying. Is there any way to deal with this?

Being careful about what system you are modeling is an essential part of good modeling. I once adopted a hydronic piping model for a 7 floor dormitory building renovation project. The person before me copied supply piping to make the return side and vice versa for the other side. They were not careful about changing the system and ended up having mixed systems connected together inappropriately. When I tried to fix some of these mistakes the entire system would turn to supply (or return). It would have taken me more time to track down where the errors were than it did to remodel the entire system.

Moving forward, you may want to draw from the existing pipe instead of to it. Revit will help you out.

On 12/28/2018 at 2:59 PM, RobDraw said:

Moving forward, you may want to draw from the existing pipe instead of to it.

That's what I'm doing. But when connecting to the existing pipe, the new continuing pipe run won't automatically adopt the existing pipe's system type. It would just mean fewer clicks, that's all.

After you start your pipe, hit the space bar and the pipe you are drawing will take on the properties of the pipe that you are drawing from. If the size is different, you will have to change that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RobDraw said:

After you start your pipe, hit the space bar and the pipe you are drawing will take on the properties of the pipe that you are drawing from. If the size is different, you will have to change that.

That's one hallelujah point to you Sir!