Help with Penn Foster structural drafting plate 1

JimJames1978

Although I have Adobe Acrobat Reader (free version) I am being prompted to download the Pro version in order to read the assignment instructions.  I really don't need want another version on my laptop.

The remaining assignments, if they haven't been changed (just updated), shouldn't prove to be any more difficult than the two projects you have been faced with already. 

@ReMark

Just copied and pasted the directions here incase you still wanted to see the instructions for sheet 1.  I was going to use the snipping tool but the resolution of these monitors would probably make those impossible to see 

Drafting the First Floor Framing Plan (Sheet 1)

Draft the framing plan at actual size. This is the ground floor (the first floor of the building).

The dimensions of the building are given to the center of the structural steel columns. All of the columns in the building are W-shapes with the designation of W12 × 152. For the dimensions associated with this designation, consult the AISC Shapes Database spreadsheet. Create a layer named W12 × 152 with the color white and a continuous linetype.

The building has 20 steel columns—14 spaced around the building’s perimeter and six within the interior. Arrange these W-shape columns on the foundation plan in four evenly spaced rows of five beams each. The distance between the center of the beams in adjacent rows is 18′-0″. The distance between the centers of adjacent beams in each column is also 18′-0″. The overall dimensions of the building are therefore 72′-0″ × 54′-0″ (L × W).

When laid out on the foundation plan, the steel columns are shown with their flanges running horizontally. In other words, when you view the plan with the drafting sheet turned so that its long edge is on the bottom, the steel columns will look like an “I.”

Create a layer called Footing, with a white color and a continuous linetype. Draw the footings on this layer. The dimensions of the concrete footings placed under all the steel columns are 32 × 32 × 16 (L × W × D). The steel columns are centered over these footings.

In between adjacent steel columns are W12 × 40 steel girders. There are 31 of these girders. The girders support the building’s second floor. Again, consult the AISC Shapes Database spreadsheet for the dimensions of this structural steel shape. Draw the girders on a layer called Girders, with a blue color and a continuous linetype.

Create a layer called C9 × 20, with a white color and a continuous linetype. Running horizontally between adjacent girders are 24 steel channel beams. There are two channel beams in each 18′-0″ bay, and they’re spaced 6′-0″ apart. The beam designation is C9 × 20, and its dimensions can be found in the AISC Shapes Database spreadsheet. The channel beams are aligned so they're flush with the top of the girder and form a C shape. A section 3 7⁄8″ long is cut out from the end of the channel to make an allowance for the flange of the girder. There’s a 1″ gap from the web of the girder to the end of the channel, and between the girder flange and the cut-out section of the channel.

Each channel beam is bolted to the girder with a 1⁄2″-thick angle. Each leg of the angle is 4″, and the angle is 6″ wide. Two angles are used for each channel beam, one at either end of the channel. The angle is bolted to the web of the channel using two 5/8″ &emty; bolts that are 3″ long. The center of each bolt is positioned 11⁄2″ away from the vertical edge of the angle and 13⁄4″ away from the horizontal edge of the angle. Two more bolts with the same dimensions and locations fasten the other leg of the angle to the web of the girder.

Create a dimensions layer called Text-Med, with a white color and a continuous linetype. Put all your dimensions and text on this layer. Add callouts to every girder and channel on the Text-Med layer (for example, girders should be called out as W12 × 40). Also add notes with leaders to call out the columns and footing sizes.

Create a layer called Centerlines, color white and using the center linetype. Instead of extension lines, draw centerlines up from the five W-shapes at the top of your drawing. From the four W-shapes on the left of the drawing, again draw centerlines instead of extension lines. Mark off with a bubble each of the nine centerlines you’ve extended out from the structure. At the top of the drawing, number the bubbles, from left to right, 1 through 5. At the left of the drawing, letter the bubbles, from top to bottom, A through E.

Give the dimensions for the width and depth of the bays. For these dimensions, place your dimension lines between the perimeter of the structure and the numbered and lettered bubbles. Past the bubbles, place another set of dimension lines to show the width and depth of the entire structure.

Show two cutting plane symbols.

The first section’s letter is A, the sheet that locates the section is 1, and the sheet where the drawing of the section is shown is 3. Make the circle for the symbol and the text an appropriate height. Place the symbol so that it points to the top of your drawing and place it between rows B and C. Show the section line cutting through the entire building.

The letter for the second section is B, the sheet that locates the section is 1, and the sheet where the drawing of the section is shown is 4. Copy the symbols you created for Section A, editing appropriately. Place the new symbol so that it points to the left and place it between columns 2 and 3. Show the section line cutting through the entire building.

Place a north arrow at the bottom of your drawing so that it indicates the long side of the building (which will be at the top of the sheet) as the north elevation. Angle the north arrow slightly at a direction of N12°14′0″E.

Next, go to the Layout tab. The drawing would be plotted at a scale that will result in a finished 24″ × 36″ landscape plot, so the viewport needs adjusting to the correct scale to make the drawing fit. Select the viewport from Paper Space and change the scale so all the elements are shown. Be sure to lock the viewport so the scale won’t accidentally change as you work on the drawing. From the Layout tab, double check that your text, dimensions, and linetypes are readable at this scale, and adjust if necessary.

Next to the north arrow, create the underlined text FIRST FLOOR FRAMING PLAN. Put the text on layer Text-Large, with a blue color and a continuous linetype.

Title this drawing FIRST FLOOR FRAMING PLAN and fill in the scale. 

Edited by SLW210
Added Quote Tags

Yes, it does appear that this project was modified from years past regarding the placement of the channel relative to the girder.  However, the basic premise remains the same.  Carry on.

@ReMark

As im moving into sheet 2 i was just wondering if im just copying the layer1 to layer2 and adjusting paperspace to reflect each different sheet or if im meant to make each of these sheets a completely separate file? The directions dont really say much in the way of that, or if it even matters. 

@ReMark Ah dang okay yeah i just sorta moved over in the model space and then copied layer1 to a new layer and then adjusted. I guess ill continue this way and then at the end import these into new files to separate them.  Thanks! 

@ReMark I am having trouble understanding the rebar for the footings in this sheet 2 elevation.

Vertical and horizontal rebar is placed in the pier. notice how the rebar from the pier extends down into the footing-- use the same detail here but space the horizontal rebar at 8" centers. The overlap detail at the bottom of the rebar is 2" long.  This rebar is #6 rebar at 8" OC.   

My best guess is that from the very bottom of the footing, to the top of the pier before it angles, there is 8" OC rebar horizontally and then vertical rebar that i cant seem to come up with anything for other than maybe its 3.5" away from the edge of the pier 

image.png.0450f9fec8abc52cd5f949f331eeb63e.png

Please refer to page 2 of this thread.  Scroll all the way down to the bottom then go up two posts.  There you will find an image of a concrete pier and footing detail I created that works for this project.

• 2 weeks later...

@ReMark idk if youd be open to giving these screenshots a quick peek, im struggling with this project for a while now.  

sheet 2

image.thumb.png.ff9b51a82978308c8282149fe6e84f64.png

@remark 

I feel like im overthinking sheets 3 and 4 as far as the thickness from the top of the W12x40 girders to the top of the poured in place concrete of the second floor. 

I have referenced the drawing i could find of these section views i just think my interpretation of them and the instructions are off somehow.  

Sheet 4 im just starting now and then i have three more.  This project has taken so long just because of work, i have until november 20th and to get the rest of the course done seems doable, this project has just been ridiculous to understand

I have all these in one .dwg file by the way, i was going to get through the drafting and then copy the files, separate them, adjust my paperspace and then rename the file and do the layers at the end of all of this.  

Also, If in Section A, we see the W12x152 vertical beams connect to W12x40 girders as well as the C channels, the top of the channels to the second floor elevation wouldnt come to 6" unless im misunderstanding something.  the clear distance of the first floor to the ceiling of the first floor is 10' and i cannot for the life of me make sense of everything between the ceiling of floor one, and second floor elevation 305.19'.  Ive really tried not to bother anyone with this given the ocean of info in here already, but im coming to my mental capacity for this project at this point, and have another 6 plus an apparent extra one ive heard about.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, i am currently a student in penn fosters autocad course and have been struggling for quite a while with this project, it would really help to see a complete and finished product just to get an idea of if i’m going in the right direction. If anyone has finished this project, i would greatly appreciate if I could take a look. Thanks

I would suggest searching through the threads here using the phrase "Penn Foster structural project" then view the threads with the highest number of replies.  If you have a specific question about a particular plate (as P-F refers to them) then post it here and wait for a reply.

• Thanks 1