Help An Old Builder With Revit!

ksmith

Hi all

I'm new to Revit and have recently invested in Revit 2009. From watching other peoples work and seeing some of the what's possible with Revit, I can honestly say that Revit is the direction I want to be heading in when it comes to drawing plans etc.

I used to use Autocad for a while and so far, in comparison, Autocad has been so much easier to learn. Perhaps though, this was due to an autocad video course I invested in from Lynda online. Everything was very clear but they don't do any courses on Revit unfortunately.

I'm very much a beginner when it comes to drawing plans and hope to be able to get some help and advice from the forum here.

My background is building and I run a small building firm based in Liverpool in the UK.

The reason that I have started to learn drawing my own plans is that when pricing many building jobs for extensions etc, most customers never have any plans already drawn up and I would like to be in a position to do the whole build from conception to completion.

Revit seems ideal for this because I can get to demonstrate to the customer clearly what my proposals are and they will get a clear vision of what the finished project will look like.

Here's the problem!

I haven't got a bloody clue what I'm doing!!

Does anybody know of any video tutorials that I can use to get some more help? I have tried reading 800 page pdf files but it all just reads gar gar to me. There you have it, I'm officially thick!

Another thing that I am concerned about is that I want to use a template that is suitable for UK builders. If there are UK designers or architects reading this post, is there any chance that I can get a copy of a template from you to use?

To let you know where I've got up to so far, I am only just now establishing my levels.

I have created: -

foundation level at -900 mm

Ground floor Finished floor level at 0

First Floor level at 2700 mm

Wall plate level at 5400 mm where roof will be fixed to.

I am now hoping to start constructing the walls etc but am unsure as to how I get everything to 'gel' together. Do I need to draw a new wall section for each level (i.e, for the external walls)?, if so, what is the easiest way to do this?

Lastly, for now, I have seen a few revit clips (from us architects) and they were adding the floors before the walls! Is this the way to go in Revit? As a builder, we tend to build the walls first and then sort the floors out later.

How are you guys building your models?

All help greatly appreciated, from an old builder, hoping to get good at designing so he don't need to get his hands too dirty anymore!!!

Thanks guys

KSmith :)

Mr Smith, go to my site, [removed] com for my contact info and call me tomorrow. I can get you pretty productive in 3 days.

Hi all

I'm new to Revit and have recently invested in Revit 2009. From watching other peoples work...

AUGI runs free training programs, and you might be able to access some of their archived training materials to practice on. They are self paced learning, and come in weekly segments so they are not too daunting. Its what got me up and runnning on revit.

As for templates, sorry, I cannot help you there. I'm running student software, so I am unable to share.