Drawing C-channel?? fillet

I tried to draw this C12X 25 channel on CAD, i got most of the info i need but except one thing is the fillet size, it didn't call out on the standard table, what fillet radius should i use? how did you get that info? and how critical is that if just guess the radius? I tried .25 radius and it looks ok to me but just curious to know.

Thanks

c channel.jpg

I don't have it, and haven't found this one, but my guess is that your fillet radius at the flange will be one half of the value of the internal fillet radius at the web.

That seems to be about the norm on similar Chinese ones,

which show 6.2mm and 12.5mm as the respective radii for those two fillets.

Edited by Dadgad

I don't have it, and haven't found this one, but my guess is that your radius at the flange will be one half of the value of the internal radius at the web.

That seems to be about the norm on similar Chinese ones, which show 9mm and 4.5mm as the respective radii.

Which intenal radius are you refering to Dadgad? Tw/2????

Which intenal radius are you refering to Dadgad? Tw/2????

By the Internal radius I mean the fillet which terminates at the WEB, being the one you have marked with the longer arrow in your screenshot. Of course the profile is symmetrical about the centerline of the web, so that fillet is on both sides of the web.

Somebody will have the AISC manual and be able to give you those radii, if you can wait.

Having revisited my Chinese profile drawings, I think you wil be safe using 1/2" and 1/4", those values should be pretty close.

Edited by Dadgad

Before the computer, I made the Toe Radius by dividing the line by 2 and using a Line perpendicular, Web Radius is 3X on US Steel usually. Each Manufacturer will vary, but this pretty close. No specs for the Radii AFAIK.

Here is an image...

C Radii.jpg

I have never seen that spec'ed out even once in many prior years as a misc. metals drafter doing pan stairs with channel stringers on paper. I just used the eyball + fudge + circle template equation.

By the Internal radius I mean the fillet which terminates at the WEB, being the one you have marked with the longer arrow in your screenshot. Of course the profile is symmetrical about the centerline of the web, so that fillet is on both sides of the web.

Somebody will have the AISC manual and be able to give you those radii, if you can wait.

Having revisited my Chinese profile drawings, I think you wil be safe using 1/2" and 1/4", those values should be pretty close.

Thank you Dadgad, sometime i feel i spend too much time on the little thing and makes me get behind. sorry for late reply, i have been busy.

Before the computer, I made the Toe Radius by dividing the line by 2 and using a Line perpendicular, Web Radius is 3X on US Steel usually. Each Manufacturer will vary, but this pretty close. No specs for the Radii AFAIK.

Here is an image...

Hi SLW210, What is Toe radius?

Interesting regional distinction, which I had never considered, about the radii difference on U.S. and Chinese steel, for example.

The Chinese details that I have for NPF Channel, all specify both of those radii, and the ratio is 2:1. :beer:

If you look at SLW210's screenshot, think of the bottom flange as a human foot, and thus that smaller radius would be at the toe. :)

Edited by Dadgad

I have never seen that spec'ed out even once in many prior years as a misc. metals drafter doing pan stairs with channel stringers on paper. I just used the eyball + fudge + circle template equation.

I have never seen the radius specs for this either, i don't think it is super criticle. circle template equation??

Hi SLW210, What is Toe radius?

There are only 2 Radii on my example, which looks like it is at the Toe?

I think you should just get Al's Steel Mill and forget recreating the wheel here.

As Dana W stated and I stated, there are NO Specs for this, the example I showed is pretty much how it is done and will get you as close as possible, actual steel will vary greatly, no matter what you draw.

There are only 2 Radii on my example, which looks like it is at the Toe?

I think you should just get Al's Steel Mill and forget recreating the wheel here.

An exemplary suggestion SLW, I heartily concur. :beer: