Can't snap to raster images (raster snap is on)

Comatosis

Is there a command (or a set thereof) I need to input in order to be able to use the Raster Design features in AutoCAD? I've done it successfully before, but I don't remember what I did to get it to work.

I have a PDF that I've saved down as a TIFF image and imported to my drawing via the Raster menu, but despite the fact that my Raster Snap on, AutoCAD does not want to recognize any of the edges/corners I want to snap to even though the picture is decent quality (i.e. the line work is unambiguous, non-fuzzy/noisy, etc.).

Should I save to jpeg or another format instead? I prefer tiffs because (to my knowledge) there is no compression involved therefore no potential loss of image quality.

Thanks

Also, I'm specifically using the raster-related commands (such as Vectorize Polyline/Rectangle, etc.). All I want to do is trace the raster image onto vector format, i.e. what Raster Design was basically made to do. :P

It's been a long time since I've used Raster Design but I believe that even though the menus may present that you have to launch it with the RD shortcut in order for the commands to be recognized.

Are you to start the command without the unknown command error?

I used to get that, but I managed to fix it by making the correct changes. My only problem at the moment seems to be that it doesn't want to recognize any raster snap points. It will "subtract" raster data from the image and replace it with the appropriate vectors correctly, but I'm simply not getting the option to snap onto the "pixels" I want to (or any pixels for that matter). I made sure to change the image depth to bitonal per the Autodesk website and everything; no dice.

I ended up tracing over the lines with regular polylines and I got what I needed, but I'm still intrigued as to why it won't snap, heh.

• 9 years later...

Not sure Imageattach works in Bricscad draw line from snapped corner. IMAGEFRAME on or off. Maybe a setvar somewhere.

The help file for Raster Snap explains that there could be interference from other applications as well as Raster Snap could interfere with other applications.

More information on your image might be helpful.

Can you post the image here?

Are you the same as the OP here, and converting PDF to TIFF, in which case if you can import as a PDF, right click and convert. If the PDF is from new up to date software it should convert OK.

Suspect that if the TIFF is scanned rather than converted then it will just see the image as a series of pixels and won't snap, likewise if converted from an older PDFs to TIFF. Older PDFs were saved as images rather than vectors so can't snap to them.

10 hours ago, BIGAL said:

Not sure Imageattach works in Bricscad draw line from snapped corner. IMAGEFRAME on or off. Maybe a setvar somewhere.

2 hours ago, Steven P said:

Are you the same as the OP here, and converting PDF to TIFF, in which case if you can import as a PDF, right click and convert. If the PDF is from new up to date software it should convert OK.

Suspect that if the TIFF is scanned rather than converted then it will just see the image as a series of pixels and won't snap, likewise if converted from an older PDFs to TIFF. Older PDFs were saved as images rather than vectors so can't snap to them.

This isn't exactly AutoCAD, it's one of the free toolsets. Raster Design Toolset in Autodesk AutoCAD | Features

It's been a few months since I used it, if I recall, you use the Raster Tools insert and the image has to be bitonal (you can make it one with the Raster Tools Edit>Process Image).